Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone install an subpanel in their workshop?

Conduit

Your local/state building code applies of course but normally a conduit is not necessary if the wire is enclosed in dry wall or otherwise isolated. For example, I ran my 100 amp subpanel from the main located in the garage to the my shop which is an extension of the garage. We ran the wire inside the wall from the main up over and onto the floor of the garage ceiling and it lays exposed on the ceiling joists until it comes down through the wall in the shop. And to be on the safe side, I used a 100 amp breaker in the main to service the subpanel.

Incidentally, got my subpaner from HD and they did have a 100 amp, 20 circuit at a decent price.
    Last edited by Jerry Bittner; 10-06-2006 at 4:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bittner
    Your local/state building code applies of course but normally a conduit is not necessary if the wire is enclosed in dry wall or otherwise isolated.
    Good point. In the Chicago area, for example, NM-C (aka "Romex") is not allowed. Basically, all wiring there has to be in conduit - even normal branch circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bittner
    For example, I ran my 100 amp subpanel from the main located in the garage to the my shop which is an extension of the garage. We ran the wire inside the wall from the main up over and onto the floor of the garge ceiling and it lays exposed on the ceiling joists until it comes down through the wall in the shop.
    If any of that conductor is near an opening from the garage into the attic space, the wiring needs to be protected. I don't have my code book right here, but that's something to be careful about. Even "laying" on top of the joists, there are rules about running the cable and you want to make sure you follow those.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 10-06-2006 at 4:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Russ,

I'm guessing you pulled #6 THHN/THWN conductors.

FYI, the conduit is not for heat dissipation, it's to protect the individual conductors. Conduit actually reduces the ampacity of conductors because it slows down heat dissipation.
    Rob
    Pretty sure it was at least #6, been about 5-6 years since i did it. Moved since then, so I can't check! I had an electrical engineer at work that was an ex-contractor that helped me. Passed all inspections no problem!

On the conduit issue, what I meant to say was that it's bad to use an insulated multi-conductor "cable" inside of conduit due to trapping even more heat. With conduit, at least in my area, you HAD to use individual conductors.

I still feel better with full conduits throughout the house. I don't trust romex or BX running through walls, even with nailer plates. Hear of too many people nailing through wires!