Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade or Shop Built Bandsaw....?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Homemade or Shop Built Bandsaw....?

Yep, looks like I might just go this route.

I did a search here, and found next to nothing, thus, I'm asking for some links.

I have a MIG, and I know how to use it, I figure I can make a welded steel frame, if I use some pillow blocks and shafts, plus some wheels made from MDF.............. Why not?

I mean really, would it be that hard?

The frame seems straight forward enough, make it similar to the one on Big Blue.........

Or something similar...

The shafts and pillow blocks could be bought......

with a shaft for the wheel on the bottom (drive wheel) and pulley to a motor........

I think the most difficult part would be the tensioner and the tracking unit on top.........?

Covers for the wheels, and blade guides, as well as the table and trunnion I figure I could fabricate that, but I need ideas for the tensioner etc.

I'd make sure the length of the blades are the standard of the 14" saws.

I'm confident I can make such a tool for WAY less than the money it would cost me here............

Delta 28-206
    94,500 yen to me ($860 plus shipping!!)]

The steel won't cost me much, the pillow blocks are not that much, the shaft can't be that much, and I can get a good used motor for less than $100..............

Any pics and or websites you can point me to or some other ideas would be great.

Cheers!

stu, nix the mdf wheel idea right off! bad idea......building a frame, or the entire saw is a good idea though. i`d be happy to shoot pics and measure either of mine if it`ll help? you could have steel wheels cut with a plasma cutter or just source cast ones, or maybe an industrial salvage,(do they have those in japan?).......check with dodge or whomever you intend to buy your pillow blocks from `cause the forces exibited by a bandsaw are not typically what a pillow block is subjected to......an automotive spindle with tapered bearings would be more in line........tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Stu,

What's wrong with Big Blue, especially after all the work you went through restoring that saw?

Rob

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Stu,

What's wrong with Big Blue, especially after all the work you went through restoring that saw?

Rob
    Rob, nothing is wrong with Big Blue, it will always have a place in my shop. but is is a "Re-Saw" not good at cutting curves, with a 2 1/4" wide blade

I'm looking for a 14" type saw, they are HARD to come by here for a reasonable price.

Tod, OK, MDF wheel idea has been dropped

I just had a look at Grizzly's site, as they list the prices of parts, and the basic cast aluminium wheels for their 14" saw are something like $38 each.....Hmm.......

I really do need to find some sort of an industrial salvage yard, but really, I don't know where the heck I would find one......?

Have to look around.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, Tod, pics and sizes would be great, but take you time, this is an idea that is just cooking on my mind at the momment......

stu, still workin` on my first cup so the ol` brain cell ain`t up to speed yet... but the front spindle of an old camaro or such would be severe overkill for the top wheel and 15" rims are a dime a dozen. i could see a double pillow block and shaft set-up working for the drive wheel.....maybe the rear axle turned down to fit the pillow blocks?.....do you have access to a metal lathe? ........man this thing i`m envisioning would be heavy!! better quit typing and drink coffee ...tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

6. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    stu, still workin` on my first cup so the ol` brain cell ain`t up to speed yet... but the front spindle of an old camaro or such would be severe overkill for the top wheel and 15" rims are a dime a dozen. i could see a double pillow block and shaft set-up working for the drive wheel.....maybe the rear axle turned down to fit the pillow blocks?.....do you have access to a metal lathe? ........man this thing i`m envisioning would be heavy!! better quit typing and drink coffee ...tod
    Well, I'm on my 12th hour at work, and I'm drinking coffee too......... hasn't really helped

I don't want this thing to be a MONSTER, remember, I have Big Blue for BIG resaw, so I really only need a curve cutter.

Maybe motorcycle or even scooter wheels and spindles.....?

The scooters have single sided swingarms too..........

I don't have access to a metal lathe, but I'm working on an idea of making a set up to use my DVR for light metal work.

Cheers!

Gilliom Manufacturing
    P.O. Box 1018
    St. Charles, Mo 63302
    636-724-1812 ...no web presence, definitely old timers!
    This company has been selling kits to make basic wood machines including bandsaws from plywood. There are also a few companies that sells plans and kits on making bandmills using auto tires for the wheels so you aren't the first to attempt building a bandsaw. Plywood wheels and aftermarket urethane tires would be a simple option.

8. Thanks Rick, I can Skype them and save the long distance charges

or I could even send them a SNAIL MAIL letter..........

Cheers!

Stu,
    A couple links for your viewing enjoyment!

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.html

http://www.bedair.org/Bandsaw.html

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power...e-bandsaw.html

Okay, maybe update the last one from model T to Toyota.

I think I may have one or two more around, I'll check. Also, there is a book on making a horizontal/vertical saw by Vincent Gingery - out of print though.

Wes

I helped an neighbor make a Gilliom 12" band saw, about 20 years ago. He was retired and an avid wood carver. Cut with the saw every day. Seems like the tires were pretty cheap and had to be replaced, but the rest of the saw was fine. We used 3/4" ply and clear Douglas fir 2X stock for the saw, and if I recall correctly a formica sink cut out for the table. If you look at their kits, and assemble one on a steel frame.....

11. Thanks for the info Paul, I'm going to send them a letter.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek
    Gilliom Manufacturing
    P.O. Box 1018
    St. Charles, Mo 63302
    636-724-1812 ...no web presence, definitely old timers!
    This company has been selling kits to make basic wood machines including bandsaws from plywood. There are also a few companies that sells plans and kits on making bandmills using auto tires for the wheels so you aren't the first to attempt building a bandsaw. Plywood wheels and aftermarket urethane tires would be a simple option.
    My Dad made a BS from their plans and parts. Worked pretty good, IIRC.

Old Ad

Hey Stu,

Here's one of their old ad's.

Regards

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

What would shipping from U.S. to you cost? The shipping weight on the Grizzly G0555 is 210 pounds.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    What would shipping from U.S. to you cost? The shipping weight on the Grizzly G0555 is 210 pounds.
    The DVR cost me near $800 all said, it weighs 181 pounds, which is what the Grizzly might be close to, without the motor, as I would not need one, power is different over here.

Cheers!