Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade or Shop Built Bandsaw....?

Quote Originally Posted by chris del
    Stu.

Where were you going to use the pillow blocks? You may or may not know that the insert bearing has a spherical outside diameter allowing it to self align in the housing. This makes it impossible to keep the shaft to a right angle of where the pillow block is mounted too. Unless you use 2 pillow blocks per shaft. A better option would be to machine a housing to house a bearing with a cylindrical outside dia as in most band saws.
    A spoked cast iron v-belt pulley would make ideal band saw pulleys providing you can have the "v-groove machined off.
    You could use a loose V-belt for drive tires. Most of the small bandsaw mills use this arangement. A lot have shifted to a poly. drive belt instead. Do a search for Bill Rakes web site and check out the homemade bandsaw mills for some ideas.

I have been doodling with this idea for a while. I want a rather big-ish saw. Auto spindles are superb so too pillow block. Either will allow a good range of camber. Pillow blocks will allow more in-and-out but auto spindles will never move after you set 'em.

The wheels have stumped me. I havn't got the head room to use auto tires, casting 'em isn't on the menu, and machining 'em from plate aluminum is likely not an option.
    Maybe tires from some tiny car like a Check' car? or old RR wheels?

Stu...you are a madman! Can't wait to see how this project turns out. You are the man for inventing what you need. Not sure about the wheels, but with tires on them it might work....

4. Thanks Kelly........... I think.........

BTW, this is what about $400 gets me here in Japan.............

Yep, a nice toy bandsaw...........

Cheers!

Stu,

Here is another link that you might find helpful http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/image.asp?id=857.
    If you search around this sight under Gil-Built you'll find some images of 18" Gilliom saws. Don't forget to start a thread when you build it so we can see the progress, I can't wait!

$400?

That's not even a good toy Stu!

7. Why not just buy the parts for a bansaw from Gillium? They are still in business and have great service...in fact it just cannot be beat. Now if only they had a website.

I have one of their 19 inch bandsaws and love the capcity and horsepower. For 300 bucks how could you beat that?

They are made using 3/4 plywood and at first I found some vibration. That was quickly changed however when I placed 200 pounds of traction sand at the base. Now it is rock solid with less vibration than I have with my Craftsman Bandsaw.

By the way this is one of only a few bandsaws that I know of that can be geared down to cut both wood and steel. And for your info, they also have plans you can purchase to make your own bandsaw whhels out of wood...or you can purchase their steel wheels in a supplied kit.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton
    Stu,

Here is another link that you might find helpful http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/image.asp?id=857.
    If you search around this sight under Gil-Built you'll find some images of 18" Gilliom saws. Don't forget to start a thread when you build it so we can see the progress, I can't wait!
    Thanks Nick!!!

............ who.......me...........pictures.............?

Surely you must be talking about some "Other" Stu in Tokyo Japan.....

Kelly, ya, no kidding, $400.......

Travis, thanks for the info, I'm going to write them a letter and send it tonight, do they have some sort of catalogue?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Thanks Kelly........... I think.........

BTW, this is what about $400 gets me here in Japan.............
    Gee, Stu, that sucks. I can introduce you to a fellow on another forum who hopped the border into Buffalo and came back with an 18" delta reconditioned bandsaw for ... wait for it ... US$725.

But you might cry.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    Gee, Stu, that sucks. I can introduce you to a fellow on another forum who hopped the border into Buffalo and came back with an 18" delta reconditioned bandsaw for ... wait for it ... US$725.

But you might cry.
    I'd not cry, but I might be caught, looking down, shaking my head.......

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
    Why not just buy the parts for a bansaw from Gillium? They are still in business and have great service...in fact it just cannot be beat. Now if only they had a website.
    GILLIOM MANUFACTURING
    P O Box 1018
    Saint Charles, MO 63302-1018
    Phone: 636-724-1812

12. Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    GILLIOM MANUFACTURING
    P O Box 1018
    Saint Charles, MO 63302-1018
    Phone: 636-724-1812
    Thanks Cliff, you are the second nice guy to help me out by posting this address, I VERY much appreciate the help.

I wrote a letter, and mailed it today.

Cheers!

Would bicycle wheels work for the bandsaw wheels? Kids bikes come in 14" wheels or something close to it I think. They usually have a little crown to them, and you can get them with the bearing in the hub.

14. Quote Originally Posted by David Briski
    Would bicycle wheels work for the bandsaw wheels? Kids bikes come in 14" wheels or something close to it I think. They usually have a little crown to them, and you can get them with the bearing in the hub.
    Yeah they do, and so do motorcycle wheels, I do wonder how well they would hold up?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek
    Gilliom Manufacturing
    P.O. Box 1018
    St. Charles, Mo 63302
    636-724-1812 ...no web presence, definitely old timers!
    This company has been selling kits to make basic wood machines including bandsaws from plywood. There are also a few companies that sells plans and kits on making bandmills using auto tires for the wheels so you aren't the first to attempt building a bandsaw. Plywood wheels and aftermarket urethane tires would be a simple option.
    My Dad made a BS from their plans and parts. Worked pretty good, IIRC.