Thread: Todays Mission

Todays Mission

I have decided that when it comes to (looking around,,whispering quitely) dust collection. That Delta had no clue when they designed the chute on their two speed planer. So since i have the spot welder here I'm gonna re design mine for better chip ejection today.

And yes I'll take Pics along the way

shhhhhhhhhhhh, pretty sensitive topic
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    shhhhhhhhhhhh, pretty sensitive topic
    Hmmm...I KNEW I shouldn't have gone to bed so early last night.

Robert, gGood luck with the modification...looking forward to seeing your results.

Matt

First stage is done I have the risers made. The originol opening is only about 5/8 high and 13 inches wide. If you get to palning wide boards or get a bit heavy on the cut it plugs.

first pic shows what I started with
    Second up the goal a 2 inch wide opening
    Third the two risers cut out.
    fourth shows it clamped to the origional plate.

I had pics of bending it but some dummy forgot to take the lense cap off

I'll bend a couple more later.

At the back there is a blower inlet. It has to be ground at a new angle to get it to slide back in where it belongs but the belt sander made short work of that.

I have more coffee now I'll update it later when the coffee craving kicks in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert, Looks like a great start. Keep the posts coming with you progress. I need to make a new one for my planer.

Pic 1
    Shows the origional top plate, I cut 3/8 off of either end and spot welded the new side pices on

Pic 2
    Had to run to the hardware for 2 2X4mm bolts, should have been 2 1/2 but that was the longest they had. The white nylon bushings go on them for and then 2 nuts double nutted for the new hold down bolts

Pic3
    Is the mounting plated for the transition. It gets 3/8 folded over all the way around to stiffen it. The two ears on the bottme edge get folded over a steel ruller to form hooks. Those hooks hang on a set of l brackets attache to the top plate.

Pic 4
    I cut the hole 1/2 inch smaller on all four sides then folded that 1/2 inch outwards to attach the transition to. Two thumbscrews hold it on the bottom. I have to get the tool from my brother to put 1/4 20 inserts in the bottom. Right now there are nuts holding it in place

Pic 5 shows the transiton mounted. Need to put some mor bolts in it and cut two filler pieces for the ends where I slit it so it would stretch out

First up
    The mounting ears, just a couple pieces of tin doubled up and bolte on with two 6 32 bolts

Second
    is a closup of the extended bolts for holding on the top plate

Third
    The transition. I just split it along the seem, spread it out over the ears I made on the mounting plate and bolted it with 6/32 nuts and bolts

I cut some tapered pieces of tin and filled the gap by bolting it and caulking it

The test

First 3 pics show what it normaly looks like when you have been planeing Chips tend to accumalte along the sides and on the table

Next two show it all swept out

That looks quite effective, Robert! Good pictorial...very useful for many folks going forward, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The board I planed, A piece of pin oak. About 3 inchs wide 16 inches long and 1 3/4 thick

Planed it down to abvout an 1/8 taking heavy cuts. 1 1/2 turns on the handle each time

As the last two photos show almost no shavings on the sides

I'm going to call it a success

Thanks Jim, This has been my only complaint with this planer since day one. I've never understood why delta made such a weak chip chute.,

Nicely done. Now can you turn off the Mission Impossible theme song in the background?
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Wow I knew the stereo was good but if you can hear it in Salem maybe I better turn it down