Thread: Hand Tool Book???

Question Hand Tool Book???

Again going to the experts... What is a good hand tool book that explains most woodworking hand tools, there uses and the correct technique on how to use them. This should be some interesting reading...

I like Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings by Aldren Watson. Excellent info on the tools themselves, along with some "how to use them" info. It is an excellent book, particularly for the price.

I would recommend all five of Roy Underhill's 'The Woodwright's Shop' series. Best books by far.

I would say that no one book covers everything completely. They all have their strengths and weaknesses so you will need several. On my list are the following:

Hand Tools Aldren Watson

Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools Mike Dunbar

A Woodworker's Guide to Hand Tools Peter Korn

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Taunton Press

Planecraft a Woodcraft reprint of a book by Record in the UK

Andy Rae also has a good book, but the title escapes me now. Please note that the book Planecraft is a tough read due to its use of Brit English from around the early 1900s. It requires a bit of translation into American.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'll second the Frid and Dunbar books. Excellent Reads.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I'll reccommend a couple more, "Choosing and Using Hand Tools" by Andy Rae and "Restoring, Tuning And Using Classic Woodworking Tools" by Michael Dunbar...
    They can tell you how but they can't teach you how...8^) that you gotta do yourself...
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

I'm interested in learning to use a hollow auger, though it does seem apparent after looking at the tool for a while. But I've been surprised before.
    Do any of those books go into detail for that operation?
    Thanks.

I have used a spoke tenon tool for years, the first time I heard the name Hollow auger, I had no idea what they were talking about. There are many different styles of spoke tenoners (hollow augers), most are pretty straight forward in there setting. some aren't.

Back to the subject of this thread, probably the most useful of the books on hand tools and their use and the ones that cover most everything are : The Practical Woodworker and The Complete Woodworker edited by Bernard E. Jones.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand