Thread: Minimax or Laguna Bandsaw Purchase

Minimax or Laguna Bandsaw Purchase

I am getting close to buying a new heavy duty 16" bandsaw and I've narrowed my choice to either the Laguna LT16-HD or the Minimax MM16. I understand that both companies get aggressive with pricing at shows. Laguna will be here in the Phoenix area in Nov. Can those of you who have bought either machine send me a private note on how much they were willing to deal. I am going to a shop nearby to inspect a Minimax LT16-HD and I'll get to see the Laguna machine Nov 10th. Email paypal51023@yahoo.com or sawmill creek message. thanks. Hope to decide then...joe

Joe, I can't speak for Laguna, but MM generally puts together packages for the shows that include an attractive price that includes normally extra cost accessories including blades, mobility, etc. Further, pre-arranging to pick up at the show can greatly reduce or sometimes eliminate shipping costs. That was how I bought both of my MM machines...'saved me a bundle. It is really a good idea for you to speak to both vendors prior to the show and see what their show special offers might be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Update

I found a 2 year old very lightly used Laguna LT16-HD on Craig's list last night. I got the saw, a Laguna Carbide resaw blade, 5 other new blades, and the mobility kit for 1/2 the price a new one delivered to my door. The machine looks brand new. The only thing is this version has the 3HP motor and not the new 4.8HP motor. Frankly I can't see needed the larger motor, but for what I saved, I could always upgrade to it and still be ahead...joe

Good deal, Joe!! Congratulations on a nice find. Machines like that don't appear for sale often, so grab them when you can!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't speak for the Minimax; but Laguna made me a better deal when I was shopping for a bandsaw. They sold me a LT18 for the price of the LT16HD.
    Only difference in the 2 machines is the increased width of cut. And I got a free blade. Most dealers are willing to discount their products during one of the shows, which is when I got mine. Been happy since.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.