Thread: 1830's Style Cabinetmaker Tool Chest

1830's Style Cabinetmaker Tool Chest

I was working down in the shop and the A/C was on because it was about 90 out and very humid. I went over to the bench where my planes are kept and had a hart attack. The high humidity had caused the window unit to spit water and that had built up on a few of the metal planes and covered them in rust. Two hours later after cleaning off the rust I finally decided to build a tool chest. I settled on an 1830’s style tool chest from one of Roy Underhill’s books. It’s made form some scrap popular that was laying around the shop, taken down to 7/8 inch thick. I threw in the folding two foot rule to show the size. I haven’t had the time to build the tray but now my planes have a home.

I plan to remove the knots in the top to put in a brass mortise lock.

The lid was not hinged at the time the first two pic were taken.

I have the tray runners in but the tray it self remains in board form. I post pics of it when I get around to making it.

Well done!

That looks very nicely done to me. I have not worked with poplar much. Is the chest heavy? Looks like a great place to protect your planes.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

The chest is a bit on the heavy side, even when empty but on person can not pick it because the handles are too far apart any way. However these chests were not moved much and nither will mine, it's already got it's own corner in the shop. All that's left to do is the trays and find more tools to fill it with!

Martin, the poplar probably wasn't a horrible choice for this "big box"...reasonably strong and lighter than many of the other hardwoods that one might choose. I work with it a lot and really like it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...