Thread: Windows Vista upgrade coupon in new computers

Windows Vista upgrade coupon in new computers

'Tis the computer buying season. If you are planning on buying a PC this fall, you may want to make sure that it has a Windows Vista upgrade coupon in the box.

The dates that the coupons are supposed to be in the box (as heard on a computer radio talk show) are October 26, 2006 through March 15, 2007.

I heard about this on the radio this morning and just thought I'd share it with the Creekers with PC's.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Is that only for Dell computers?

No, it's for all PC's that come with whatever the previous version of the OS is. XP, XP Pro, some Windows laptop OS (I'm a Mac guy so I'm not currrent on all the iterations of Windows OS software) and whatever else there is for the latest versions.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-07-2006 at 5:15 PM.
    Mark Rios

Mark,
    Since your a mac guy can I ask for some advice? My son wants to get one of the imac's where everything is incorporated inside the monitor chassis. I guess I am a little skeptical of not having a traditional "tower" where the computer is housed. What is you opinion of these machines?

I own one if that's anything to you. They are reliable, very stable (physically, they just don't tip) and they look soooooooooooooo cool.

If you get one I recommend you get one with as many of the extras/add-ons you can. Max memory, the larger hardrive, Airport Extreme built-in, bluetooth (keyboard AND mouse. VERY COOL and no wires). Some of these may now come standard.

If you get a mac and also get the Airport Extreme base, you can actually have a computer that only has one wire, the power cord. That means nothing on the desk except the monitor, wherever you want it, the mouse, also wherever you want it-right or left side and the keyboard, again wherever you want it. If you want to print, you plug your printer into the Airport base and you can print wirelessly from anywhere within 100 feet or so. My printer is tucked away in the closet of my second bedroom.

I've got a 20", the largest available at the time I bought it, but you can get a 24" now. Very, very nice.

HTH
    Mark Rios

And the latest 17", 20" and 24" "all in one" Macs are reported to be 64 bit machines, too...with Leopard coming in the spring as a 64 bit OS. Even a long-time WinTel guy like me is drooling over all these new Macs and one will likely be my next personal machine. (Especially since I can run Windows on it when needed)

Mark, on the Vista thing, I'm not surprised on the coupons appearing so soon. However, my understanding is that Vista will initially be released to Enterprise (Corporate) customers first around November with the consumer versions available (hopefully...) sometime after the first of the year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    And the latest 17", 20" and 24" "all in one" Macs are reported to be 64 bit machines, too...with Leopard coming in the spring as a 64 bit OS. Even a long-time WinTel guy like me is drooling over all these new Macs and one will likely be my next personal machine. (Especially since I can run Windows on it when needed)

Mark, on the Vista thing, I'm not surprised on the coupons appearing so soon. However, my understanding is that Vista will initially be released to Enterprise (Corporate) customers first around November with the consumer versions available (hopefully...) sometime after the first of the year.

I'm sure you're right Jim. I didn't hear the talk show host say when she thought the OS would be available, she just mentioned the issue with the upgrade coupons and when they could be found in the new computers. Aparrently, the manufacturers are to receive the sku's for the upgrade coupons on Oct.15.

BTW, FWIW, she mentioned $49 and $79 dollars for upgrade prices. There may have been a lower(?) Windows version that is was eligible for a free upgrade but I'm not sure. The $49 and $79 upgrade prices were definate though.

And yes Jim, they are drool worthy. I"ve had my 20" G5 for a little over a year so it's working just fine but I'm SERIOUSLY looking at that 24". Yum Yum!!! I checked and they ship with Bluetooth and an Airport card installed standard (except for the 1.83GHz 17"). So for $60 more (for the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse) you can have a wireless desktop. I"m using a Kensington Bluetooth mouse which gives me a left and right button with a third button on the scroll wheel. I know you Windows folks need that right click button for some commands so this mouse might be something to look at.

Leopard is supposed to have some features that are definately worth upgrading to (from OS 10.4 Tiger) but the OS may not work at it's best on the old G5 chipset. A wonderful excuse for me to "need" to buy the 24" when it comes out.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-08-2006 at 12:33 AM.
    Mark Rios

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    I own one if that's anything to you. They are reliable, very stable (physically, they just don't tip) and they look soooooooooooooo cool.

If you get one I recommend you get one with as many of the extras/add-ons you can. Max memory, the larger hardrive, Airport Extreme built-in, bluetooth (keyboard AND mouse. VERY COOL and no wires). Some of these may now come standard.

If you get a mac and also get the Airport Extreme base, you can actually have a computer that only has one wire, the power cord. That means nothing on the desk except the monitor, wherever you want it, the mouse, also wherever you want it-right or left side and the keyboard, again wherever you want it. If you want to print, you plug your printer into the Airport base and you can print wirelessly from anywhere within 100 feet or so. My printer is tucked away in the closet of my second bedroom.

I've got a 20", the largest available at the time I bought it, but you can get a 24" now. Very, very nice.

HTH
    Whoa!! That is COOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!! (I'm the old PC guy with PIII processor at 850 mhz.......) wires......everywhere........