Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" Baltic Birch ply?

1" Baltic Birch ply?

Is Baltic Birch ply available in 1" thickness? If so, does anybody know where to find it? I need a piece about 24"x24". Have done a google search, but best I can find is 3/4" thick.

Thanks,

Dave

Blog Entries
    I haven't run across it nor seen it listed at my local lumber supply. Maybe others here can point you to a source if it's made. If not and you need 1", laminate a couple pieces of 1/2" with the grain perpendicular.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To source it directly, you'll likely need to order from a full-service plywood distributor. But Glenn's idea to laminate, especially for such a small piece would be what I'd do most of the time unless there was a very specific reason that "real" 1" from the factory stock was required...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, 1" baltic birch is available in one of my local hardwood dealers. However, I'm in California, the state, not California, MD. (I didn't even know there was a California, MD until I noticed your post.)

I have found lately that 1" BB is hit or miss in terms of availability. But, of all of the BB sizes, it was the only one which was flat. It looked like they took two pieces of 12mm BB and laminated them together as there were two plies in the center that had the same grain direction. I don't know if that was just what my suppplier had, or was generally true, but the first time I ever saw 1" BB, about 5 years ago, it was the same construction. I think 1" BB is actually 24mm BB.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I have three local lumberyards that carry almost every type of wood and plywood that you can imagine and not one of them carries anything wider than 18 milimetre (about 3/4 inch) Baltic Birch. If none of them carries it, it must be rare indeed.

In the one project I have encontered that need that width, I glued together two pieces of 1.2 centimetre plywood -a little less than the 2.54 centimeters that make up an inch, but close enough for my prposes.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-08-2006 at 9:11 AM.

OK, everybody, I really appreciate your inputs! Looks like the thing to do is laminate 2 pieces of 1/2", which for some reason never even occurred to me. But then again, I'm slow that way!

DSI(Distributor Service Inc) carries it. They have warehouse in a couple states. If you are near enough you should go check this place out. They carry everything for the cabinetmaking industry. All kinds of plywoods, mdo. solid surface, hinges, slides. the whole nine yards Reasonablly priced also I must say.

Bob

It is available here in Portland OR, at Crosscut Hardwoods. It's not cheap, about $77 for a 5x5 sheet IIRC. Probably doesn't do you much good in MD, but it's out there.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    In the one project I have encontered that need that width, I glued together two pieces of 1.2 centimetre plywood -a little less than the 2.54 centimeters that make up an inch, but close enough for my prposes.
    Frank,

I love the way you always get that metric stuff in there. I'm beginning to actualy recognize some of it! I just bought a tape measure that has metric on one edge and inches on the other. Now I can screw up my projects in both systems at once.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress
    Frank,

I love the way you always get that metric stuff in there. I'm beginning to actualy recognize some of it! I just bought a tape measure that has metric on one edge and inches on the other. Now I can screw up my projects in both systems at once.
    Hey Bob, they sell the stuff in metric, it is best to be able to measure what they sell.

Most of my tape measres are like that.

David

1" is available but since I am on the left coast I can only suggest that you inquire at some of the local cabinet shops as to where they acquire they sheet goods. Most cabinet shop sheet good suppliers will be able to direct you or even sell it.

However as others have said since you size is small just glue to 1/2 pieces together. Should be cheaper that a sheet of 1"

Dave
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

Hi Dave. I have it. Give me a call at 616 698 6842. I just built a starburst table with it and used 6 wedges of the 1" BB ply.
    Where are you located? I'm in Grand Rapids,Mi.

Hi Jim!

As you may have noticed, Dave has either filled his need for the wood in the 8 years that have passed, or has completely given up on woodworking.

Also, it's not a good idea to post your phone number in the clear like that -- every web crawler and search engine now has access to your number, which is not a good thing in these days of robo-calls.

Did you find your 1" Baltic Birch plywood. I have a piece that is 37.5" square and the guy wants $52 for it.
    call me if interested. it is in Michigan 616 698 6842