Thread: Shutter Vanes?

Shutter Vanes?

Does anyone have any idea how to make the "wing" profile for shutter vanes? I'm sure there's some industrial machine that spits these out faster than I can type this, but is there a method that the ambitious woodworker could try?

Much appreciated,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Snyder
    Does anyone have any idea how to make the "wing" profile for shutter vanes? I'm sure there's some industrial machine that spits these out faster than I can type this, but is there a method that the ambitious woodworker could try?

Much appreciated,

Frank
    Maybe a small bullnose router bit on the edges? Good question.

Frank:

Saw Norm make shutters on NYW he made up a jig which he use to cut both stiles at the same time. Try his web site.

Greg

By "Wing" do you mean a diamond shape cross section?

If so, Fine Woodworking had an article on it some 10-12 years ago. You make a form that goes on your planer to hold the stock at an angle. You use it to mill two of the four surfaces then make a second form with twice the angle to mill the other two surfaces. If interested, I'll try to trace down the article for you.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Sorry Forgot to mention. When you get to the woodline site search on the work shutter....

I think that episode may be playing this week (or next). I took a look at upcoming shows on my TIVO listing the other day and seem to recall somthing about shutters. Take a look at your guide listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk
    Frank:

Saw Norm make shutters on NYW he made up a jig which he use to cut both stiles at the same time. Try his web site.

Greg
    I saw the episode, too. I have an MPEG of the jig making part.

Thanks, everyone. The router bit kit at Woodline looks like it might do the trick. I found the instructions there at http://www.woodline.com/Downloads/Pl...20Shutters.pdf and they explain everything in full detail. As Monty Burns would say, "exxxxcellent."

This will be one of my first projects once I get my shop finished.

Thanks again!

Frank- you could just make battens with rounded edges (3/16 x 1 1/2) with 1/8 radius round over on long edges. Anything else would be very complicated. THe only reason I can see for making the wing shape would be for stability over long lengths or if your wife is making you. Just a though. Good luck. Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion