Thread: White Oak or Hickory flooring in a bathroom?

White Oak or Hickory flooring in a bathroom?

Is it true that white oak is the best wood flooring to put in a bathroom? I am putting hickory in a couple other rooms and can extend it on into the bathroom, but I want to make sure it will stand up to the moisture. That is why I am getting the suggestion to put in white oak from another person.

This hickory is being ressurrected out of an old barn that's being torn down, if that will make a difference, then I will do what the majority (you all) think is best.

The hickory flooring is being made now and I can't wait to see it all installed. Especially, since I have been hijacked into installing it !

If it is just moisture in the air, most hardwood will be just fine. The finish will slow down the expansion and the contraction of the wood. Talking about expansion and contraction, I think white oak is less stable than hickory (you may want to do a search to verify this).

In terms of durability, I don't see much difference between the two species. Due to its water-proofness, white oak is excellent for outdoor applications. But as a bathroom floor, its water-proofness doesn't really apply.

When your bathroom if flooded, the water damage doesn't happen on the flooring only. It's the wall, the subfloor, the cabinets, .... It's the water getting trapped and the mildew...

So go by the look and feel. If you already have hickory in other rooms, may as well install it in the bathroom.

I myself would not install hardwood flooring in a bathroom. There is just too much risk....

I was sort of wondering if it wouldn't be better to put ceramic tile or another type of flooring in the bathroom.

The flooring was a question my girlfriend had, of which I had no good answer. Personally I'd rather put tile down, but I'm not the boss of interior decorating at her house.

She knew I'd come here for help.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kendall
    ...Personally I'd rather put tile down, but I'm not the boss of interior decorating at her house.

She knew I'd come here for help.

Thanks!
    Wise that you recognize the power heirarchy. She knew somebody here would tell you it doesn't really matter what's BETTER... the correct answer is what she wants.

KC