Thread: Kids project

Kids project

Nephew in-laws(??) was over a few weeks ago. Turns out he loves to play in my shop. Driving nails gives him amazing entertainment. His sister and my Niece (shes 16) enjoy being in the shop too. So I was trying to think of something we could do that they would like.

JT says we could build a house in your shop! I laughed and then decided it wasn't such a bad idea. So we built houses for everyone. They were headed out the door when I realize we didn't get photos so I hastly grabbed these two.

JT-nick.jpgJT.jpg

I took some scrap from the shop and we drew out houses on the thin stock. This was something they could do with some help. I sawed them out on the bandsaw for them.

Then we took some larger blocks for the bases and used 5 minute epoxy to glue them together. They wanted to add doors and windows so we used scrap we found on the floor. Let them cutting them with a chisel. Some spray paint finished them off.

As simple as these were I was amazed at how excited they were about them. And just as amazed I thought of it.

I think I am going to restore my old scroll saw next since it doesn't need much more than a good cleaning. I think it is safe enough that I could let them cut their own out on it. I can't imagine how much joy they would get out of that!!

Also thinking ahead I thought some simple toy boats would be fun too. Since we have a pool we could build them and then go 'race' them in the pool.

2. FANTASTIC Jeff!!

Very kewel!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Awesome. Get them started early.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When I was a kid we used to go a visiting to grandmas house. There was this 'old' guy (I was 10 so everyone was old back then) who lived next door and who had a garage shop. We used to hang out and bug him - which probably had nothing to do with the fact that he had coke in glass bottles in his fridge and was willing to share <g>. Anyway, my very first wood working project that I can remember was with him. He had us cut pictures we liked out of magazines which he then glued to 1/4 inch stock and turned us loose with coping saws to cut the outline. That was many, many years ago but I can still remember that day like it was yesterday.

- John

I wish I had someone that had gotten me interested as a kid! My dad did some basic stuff but he was not a teacher! I watched while he worked.

BTW my neice (the 16 year old) loves the water. Was showing her some kayaks on the internet I was considering. She is interesting in sea kayaking I found out. (she is the daredevil. just started taking flying lessons) So I have made her an offer.

I was thinking about building two boats at once so I could take someone with me. So I offered to let her build one and design the strip layout for the deck and pick the paint color for the hull. I don't know if she has the time to devote to it but I am betting she will offer to come help as she has time. Hoping so, would love to see her get interested and besides she is fun to work with.

Jeff,

When they come back, consider cutting boards. I remember your niece using your table saw a while back, she could cut the strips and your nephew could help with layout and glue-up. My kids loved doing that for Mother's Day. Pretty easy project, since how it's finished on the edge is really up to them, can be as simple as a square cut on the RAS. My wife was using one that we didn't make that was just laminated and cut square. My daughter had a blast with a hand rasp...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/