Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saw tree

saw tree

I needed to find room for a couple of backsaws and keep the workbench clear. I considered building a saw till - but I never have the time for making fine shop furniture. Also I don't have that much space. So I came up with this - I call it a saw tree.... well, couldn't think of anything else.

The top three saws are tenons - 14" Nurse, 12" Disston #5 and 10" rehandled Spear & Jackson. The lower three are dovetail saws - LN, IT, and John Cotterill.

Each saw is balanced and secured within a morice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is very nice, and gives me some ideas for tools. This is a great idea, first time I've seen one like that. Very good and creative idea.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Simple, elegant, ingenious. Great idea Derek.
    Regards to Perth,
    Ken

Lightbulb

Derek, take care of your tools and they will take care of you. This is neat Derek, makes me want to see more of your work. Thanks for the pic's.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Very nice, Derek. Now I just need to get some nice saws to justify something like that.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

A very nice piece of work Derek. I like the idea of the combination of saw kerf and a mortise for the saw spine. It's an elegant solution that epitomizes the K.I.S.S Principle.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Derek,

Many thanks for showing us that! Now I know what to do with my growing collection of Wenzloff saws...

Great Idea Derek,

How about some more pics of your other storage ideas?

Thanks
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Derek,
    What Charles said.
    Ken

I do not have a lot (any?) original ideas regarding storage. There are some truly beautiful workshops around - and mine is not one of them! I fill the rear end and one side of a double garage (the other half is taken up with garden stuff, windsurfing gear and a car I am restoring (which I do drive, so can remove it when I need the space). The pictures make the workshop look so nice and neat, but it is rarely like this for long. I have many tools and not enough room, and the battle is always to find a way to store it - cheaply but stll with a modicum of the aesthetic, and with a maximum of the functional. The cabinetry is pine, some bought at garage sales with doors of white melamine (to be replaced with white painted pine). The white helps reflect the light.

Since this is a handtool forum I will not open the cabinet doors to the left (all hand power tools). Below these cabinets is my saw till for panel saws and another for spokeshaves. The ones on the right contain many of my handtools. This is an older picture that has since been redeveloped.

The shooting board (on the bench) lives under the benchtop.

The trays holding the planes were copied from Beckvoort's. They are hinged at the top and lift up and for more storage behind.

I do not recall what the angle is (10-15 degrees?), but there are cleated at the top to prevent any plane tipping out. All just a pine backing with scrap Jarrah dividers.

Inside the cabinet doors is storage for my marking tools.

I try and use all nooks and crannies - here is the storage for my card scrapers - just a block of hardwood with kerfs and screwed to the side of a cabinet over the bench (I believe that all handtools should be as close as possible to the bench).

That's about all the pics I have of appropriate storage on my computer. Perhaps others here might add their own.

Regards from Perth

Derek

All I can say is I'm so jealous I could scream! Your collection of Veritas planes causes a steady stream of saliva to drool out the corner of my mouth. I recently bought my first - the BU Jack and I absolutely love the thing. And the experience of getting their spokeshave to sing is truly transcendental. I just wish I had more spokes that needed shaving....

Cheers
    Hans

Nice setup Derek.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok that is out of the way. Envy rearing its evil head...

Nice layout. I was wondering about your workbench. Is it Jarah or the like? How do you find working on the darker surface?

And am I right in that it is up against the wall? How do you find working on it there? ANy problems?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Trotter
    I was wondering about your workbench. Is it Jarah or the like? How do you find working on the darker surface?

And am I right in that it is up against the wall? How do you find working on it there? ANy problems?

Robert
    Hi Robert

Yes, the bench is against the wall. This is a space issue. Still, there are some advantages, the most notable being that it is ultra stable since it has attachments to the wall. In spite of the frame being fairly slim, this bench is not going anywhere!

The bench is set up for planing (with a wide bench stop at the one end). The two face vises can be used together to clamp long rafters.

It is mainly built from Karri, which is similar in appearance to Jarrah but even harder. The dark surface is not a limiting factor, although I think that my next bench will be a lighter wood. This bench was built about 15 years ago, before I had a good idea of what I really wanted in a bench, and over the years I have modified it here-and-there.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-17-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen

Derek
    OK, the tools and storage are nice, but how 'bout that bench dog!

All the best,

Blaine

Hi Derek,

I'm wondering now that you've had it for some time how the new saw tree compares in use to the original toggle layout you had?

Pros & cons of each as you see it?