Thread: Spalted Oak

Spalted Oak

I just recently got a piece of spalted oak. It looks great, but I need some advice on how to finish it so it will stay that way and show off the spalting. I haven't made a project with it yet but I like to get all my ducks in a row before I start.

Matt Newton

Finish like you would any other oak...the spalting "stops" when the moisture content drops below a certain point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So if you have spalted wood, it will remain spalted forever? I just bought some, I was thinking some type of clear coat etc, so the spalted look doesn't go away.

Spalting is part of the decay process and is caused by fungus "consuming" the wood. It's permanent. BTW, be sure you use a good dust mask when you are working with and sanding this material. My understanding is that moisture can re-activate the fungus...and your lungs are a very moist place...
    --

Thanks for the info. So how long can this piece stay unused? Will the decay continue or since the board is kiln dried has it stopped?

Matt,

I have a piece of spalted maple in my shop and has been that way for at least 4 years now. I really need to do something with it.
    You should be fine with waiting for a bit. The key thing is making sure the wood is dry enough to stop the spalting process.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Take another look at the wood. I dont think oak spalts, only maple and a couple of other woods. Be prepared for the wood to soak up any finish you use like a sponge. I put a spalted piece in the center on top of a couple of boxes for the "center piece" and used poly gloss. The look was outstanding!

Dave, almost any species will spalt given the right conditions and spore exposure...it's a decomposition process. I have some spalted oak in my shop...somewhere.
    --

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it via search.
    For the record, Jim is correct. I just came across a very nice piece of spalted black walnut. I also have a large board of spalted zebrawood.
    Maple is the most common wood, but given the right conditions, any wood can spalt.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox