Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask a question???

Can I ask a question???

I have lurked here for a long tme but this is only my 3rd post. If I am out of line or just plain wrong please let me know. I guess if I get banned I can go back to lurking. Did it for a long time so......

Is there a problem with disagreeing with certian members? If so can the names of these individuals be flagged in some way? I have seen several people attempting to make a valid point, and be slapped down (edited or deleted) because their response was not exactly pin point on topic.

Am I to understand there is no room for disagreement in WoodWorking, or is it just a select few?

I am not trying to be a trouble maker or cause hurt feelings, but I am curious. I am also willing to take the punishment for asking if that is the path chosen.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Gender
    I have lurked here for a long tme but this is only my 3rd post. If I am out of line or just plain wrong please let me know. I guess if I get banned I can go back to lurking. Did it for a long time so......

Is there a problem with disagreeing with certian members? If so can the names of these individuals be flagged in some way? I have seen several people attempting to make a valid point, and be slapped down (edited or deleted) because their response was not exactly pin point on topic.

Am I to understand there is no room for disagreement in WoodWorking, or is it just a select few?

I am not trying to be a trouble maker or cause hurt feelings, but I am curious. I am also willing to take the punishment for asking if that is the path chosen.

Thank you for your time.
    Darryl,

I am not sure what's prompting your question.

However, to answer your question, no, we have no problem with members disagreeing with each other, as long as the members' comments remain civil and without personal attack. That's all we ask.

As far as flagging individuals, yes, you can add certain individuals to your ignore list using your UserCP if you don't want to read their comments.

To answer your third question, no, there is plenty of room for disagreement in woodworking; people have preferences over manufacturers, woodworking methods, project design, finishing methods, etc. This is one of the big reasons SawmillCreek is here, to discuss these types of things.

And to answer your thread title, yes, you can ask any question you'd like. I just hope it's not rhetorical for the sake of provoking others.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I have tried to make the question as unoffensive as possible. If I have failed in that I appologize. One of the reasons I never posted before was my perception of the reception of newcomers.

Again I apologize if I caused any problems. At my age and health I can't afford to do either. I can't go to the shop anymore, but I can work vicariously, through those on this, and other boards. Please accept my sincere appology for what I thought was a simple question.

In that case,

Welcome to the 'Creek!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hi Darryl.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with disagreement. Everybody is entitled to there opinion as long as it agrees with mine .
    You may have missed the interactions from stating a point of view and shutting down a thread.

It is my opinion that with international membership of thousands, pushing any hot button can get out of hand very fast. With people veiwing and participating in all time zones, all hours of the day, things can go super nova in an instant.
    Disrespect for others is much easier when you are separated by miles of wire and have only a "handle" to identify your target. That's why proper names and "sticking to WW"are enforced.
    I also think there is a faction that is trying real hard to pollute the fresh waters of SMC. Why I don't know? I have met some wonderful people while wading here that have invited me into their homes, share their skills and time with me. Why would anyone want to mess up that kind of atmosphere??
    There have been days where the only good thing I had going for me was the fun, knowledge and skill here in the creek.

There is a forum on the electronic super highway for everything you can imagine and a few I think would give you night mares. If people want to sling mud and call names, they should go to one designed for that purpose. I'm sure the management wants this to to be a supportive environment for WW.

I invite you to step up Darryl, ask question share your projects and of course show us some pictures.
    P.S. I am amazed at the effort put forth to welcome Nubeez Everybody that I know tries real hard to roll out the welcome mat and offer help as they see it.

Last edited by Tyler Howell; 10-16-2006 at 3:38 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Darryl,

I don't think you received Aaron's comments in the spirit they were intended. It is tough to be friendly and have a smile when a keyboard is your only tool.

There is no class status here and there isn't a good ole boys group either. In spite of a few posts that might lead you to believe otherwise there are literally thousands of realy nice people here that you will never see post an unkind word.

Your question is fair and I expect that if you have been lurking here for awhile you already know the answer.

We rarely ban people from SMC. This is a friendly Community and only those who refuse to be friendly will feel unwelcome.

We do in fact disagree often and most consider our differences to be healthy but I must admit that we have had some topics that deteriorated and were removed when tempers flared or egos were bruised. We are not to far from a half million messages here, and I think for the most part you will find them informative and friendly.

People are only new here until they post their first message, most are offered a friendly welcome as soon as they introduce themselves.

Welcome to The Creek!

Darryl, first off, WELCOME to the creek.

Everyone's participation is encouraged and welcomed. You indicated that you are in the same group as me, the over 65 gang. I am sure you have recommendations and experiences that you would like to share based upon your work in the shop. Please feel free to offer up your comments, after all, everyone is here to learn.

Just because you may see that someone has posted a couple thousand times DOES NOT mean that they are part of a select group. It probably means that they are goofing off at work.

I look forward to your sharing your knowledge with the creekers. Please do.
    Also, there are no dumb questions, so ask....
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Just because you may see that someone has posted a couple thousand times DOES NOT mean that they are part of a select group. It probably means that they are goofing off at work.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    I look forward to your sharing your knowledge with the creekers. Please do.
    Also, there are no dumb questions, so ask....
    Darryl, welcome to the Creek. I whole-heartedly agree with the rest of the sentiments made by Ken and the rest of the guys! I sincerely look forward to your contributions! (BTW, I'm "goofing off" at home now! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Darryl,

First of all.....Welcome to SMC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lot's of great folks here with lots of great information and willing to help with a WW crisis arises in your own shop.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome to SMC Darryl! Hope you enjoy it.

Corey

Welcome, Darryl! This is the only woodworking forum that trys to be civil that I have found. Like the others have said, dissagreements are normal, lively discussions are encouraged, but at the end of it, we are mostly just cyber friends. Many even meet up to be more than that. SMC will only be what we all put into it. If we put negative or garbage in, it starts to stink a little. Our moderators have been very good at cleaning things up, and getting everyone to stay on the right track.
    Again welcome, join in. If you disagree on something, tell us and why. We're all here to learn. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Darryl,

Welcome to the Creek, the best, and the most civil place on the internet. Some days we have to work real hard to keep it both, but we succeed much more often than not.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Ah Heck, it's just like any neighborhood.

You know, you've got the neighbor you have a lot in common with and that you really like. I'll call him John. He's always willing to provide help and advice, but only if asked and then in a polite way, and for some reason, his answers usually seem right on the money..

They you've got the people that are sort of quiet, but you are pretty sure they're ok. They keep the yards clean and tidy, but kind of keep to themselves. And once in a while, they surprise you with something really interesting.

Then you've got the others. You know, The guy next door. Always willing to share his opinion (even if wrong!), feels free to offer advice to you on things you probably have a better handle on, etc... He's not a bad sort, but he just has a few self esteem issues of his own he needs to deal with, so you just kind of listen, nod your head up and down a few times, then go talk to the first guy John and figure out the right way to go about things.

I think this place is kind of like that, neighborhood....

Brent

You hit that right on the head!

Darryl, welcome to the Creek, we all look forward to you sharing your experiences with us

Jay

Good analogy, Brent. SMC is a community and all communities are diverse. People move in. People move out. Some are friendly and outgoing. Some just listen. Some, well... That's all a good thing as it promotes sharing in many ways. There is never a dull moment...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...