Thread: Bosch 1613 EVS repair help

Unhappy Bosch 1613 EVS repair help

Looking for help with the repair of my Bosch 1613 EVS router which I recently knocked off a saw horse. When it hit the floor it shattered the fine adjustment knob. The plunge lock does not lock properly and the plunge mechanism works poorly at best. One post is 2 mm higher than the other side. Not quite sure how to get this unit apart to see what is wrong with the plunge mechanism. Would like to effect the repairs without taking it to the local Bosch repair shop at Hartville Hardware. Any ideas? TIA.

Dave Schemansky

Exclamation Well, maybe two out of three...

Dave,

Let me start with the easy stuff. The micro-adjust knob is held on with a phillips head screw. Order a replacement, remove screw, assemble new knob. It really will be that simple.

About the plunge lock not working well, another easy fix. The lock is actually a brass hex bolt. The lock lever can assemble in one of twelve positions (30deg increments). Loosen the retaining screw (or possibly remove), pull the lever away from the router, rotate the lever away from the body, align with the detents, and push back home. Then tighten the screw. If the lock is tight, great, if not repeat. Now you've probably learned that the lock work best and pressed up against the housing, so make sure to test it in that position.

Finally, the poor plunge action. Here's where you may have a problem. You could be looking at replacing the metal base plate and guide posts. If you're lucky that will fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll end up replacing the fan housing. This is the piece that holds the bushings that the posts move in. Replacing it is open heart surgery on the tool. Replacing the base invovles opening the cover, removing a retaining ring, slide the old off, and the new on. Replace the retaining ring, and close the cover being careful not to pinch the wires.

I believe you can get a parts breakdown off the Bosch website. If not call, and customer service can take care of you.

Before using the the tool again, make sure that the base is square to the spindle and that it's still flat.

Routers don't like drops. Make sure its functional before you try to use it again.

Best of luck,

Eric