Thread: Router table in the TS extension table & blade guard--can it be done?

Router table in the TS extension table & blade guard--can it be done?

Its starting to look like I'm not going to sell my table saw for what I'd be willing to let it go for. So, I started thinking last night how I would rearrange if I end up keeping it. One thing I would want to do is mount my router in the extension table. I figure I'd build a fence that clamps to my Bies. fence for the router. One thing I quickly realized is that my Bies. overarm blade guard would get in the way of this configuration due to the fact that it mounts off the right rear corner of the extension table.

If you have a router in your extension table, what do you do for a blade guard? Stock? Do without? A ceiling mounted gaurd is not feasible as I have 12' ceilings and would want the saw to be portable.

Matt - I don't use an overarm guard so it's never been an issue. I have a Sharkguard, and a custom pop-in splitter that my brother made up...the pop-in is the most convenient and the one I use the most. It's low enough that my Grr-Ripper rides right over the top of it. The pop-in works well, but it's not necessarily the safest design, as there's no mechanism to prevent it from lifting....so far it has not been a problem. No pics of the Sharkguard, but I'm sure you've seen them.

Here's the RT and pop-in splitter:

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

This is my set up and I use it a lot and have no trouble. I have "T" channels set into the table for the router fence. The fence slides off if I need to use the full width of the table for a sheet of plywood. I very seldom need it, however. The stiff leg under the arm justs takes some of the load. It is not necessary. I did extend the length of the arm and can actually get about 52" between the blade and the Bies fence.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 10-17-2006 at 8:54 AM.

My Rockler router table has slots that a guard/fence slides in, just wondering if you couldn't add T slots to the table and use a fence like the Rockler one, it basic slides back and forth on the slots and has left to right slots cut in the fence so the two pieces of fence can be adjusted.

Not sure of posting the Rockler website the router table is on, but if you go to Rockler you'll see it.

Al

Blog Entries
    I mount my RT to the left. This may not be an option depending on your saw's motor cover or tilt wheel. My motor cover is on the right even though it is a left tilt saw. The bevel wheel is on the left but I kept the left hand CI extension and added the RT after it leaving more than enough room for access to the wheel.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    This is my set up and I use it a lot and have no trouble. I have "T" channels set into the table for the router fence. The fence slides off if I need to use the full width of the table for a sheet of plywood. I very seldom need it, however. The stiff leg under the arm justs takes some of the load. It is not necessary. I did extend the length of the arm and can actually get about 52" between the blade and the Bies fence.
    Do you have any problems with the reach? I never though about putting the fence on that side of the bit. I always envisioned standing at the end. I also realized that the dust collection drop is on the same corner as the guard's mount so I like this idea.

Throw the blade guard away and use glasses for eye protection.

Matt, I've done exactly what you've described. I also have a Beisemeyer blade gaurd. This isn't the greatest pic as I was trying to illustrate the blade gaurd, but you can see the router plate behind. I built a fence to clamp to the Xacta fence.

Here's the fence I built from a Popular Woodworking plans, modified to be able to clamp to my Xacta fence. This isn't the one I built, but from thier website.

I can provide a better pic of both if you need them.

Chris

I don't really have a problem with the reach and I am only 5'6" and shrinking. I would have thought about putting it on the left side except the motor cover is there and I have since put my sliding table back on (I had both the blade cover and sliding table on my old saw) and had doing so in the back of my mind. It works for me. Do a pseudo set up and try it yourself.

CPeter

10. Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James

CPeter
    I do something similar - separate fence for the router. Also allows you to use the saw without disturbing the router setup, provided you don't need to use the whole width of the table.

Cheers
    Randy