Thread: Calling all music majors!

Calling all music majors!

My 6 year old came home today talking about claves. Since I didn't know what that was I looked it up and came up with this: http://www.thedrumworks.com/LP_Exoti...can_Clave.html and this: http://www.thedrumworks.com/LP_Aspir...od_Claves.html.

It looks like two sticks with a little woodburning. I think I can handle that but I am wondering if they are hollow in one part or all of it.

I am sure this worldly crew knows all about it.

Thanks for lookin
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

The one's I remember were identical - both pieces the same size - and were solid. Just basically sticks with finish on them. No grooves on the ends either, but that might make for a better grip for sweaty hands. They're definitely made of hardwood or they wont hold up long. I cant recall for sure, but think the one's I've seen may have been rosewood? Maybe mahogany? Jotoba might be a good choice for those.
    Use the fence Luke

Hey. looks like a matching set of musical bonkers to me.

I can remember using things like this when I was in first and second grade, and some of the ones had grooves in them and were drawn against each other to make a different sound than the "clacking." They would have to be hardwood, and it seems that different woods would make a different sound.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Pete,

Claves are usually solid. I've never seen a set like the "exotic" ones. They are normally the same size and are made from hard and dense woods. I've played them many times, but I really didn't pay attention to what kind of wood they were. Many are plastic today. They are probably 1 1/8" thick and about 7" long. Although thats a guess. You could go to any music store and see a set. They are standard percussion instruments for bands.

Hope that helps.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

From my band days, our claves were solid exotic hardwood. Looking at Wikipedia I found this interesting description:

"Normally they are made of wood but nowadays they are also made of fibreglass or plastics due to the longer durability of these materials."

How can a hollow plastic tube be much more durable than a two pieces of solid hardwood that are only being tapped together? Not having heard plastic claves, I'm also skeptical if they sound like two pieces of wood being hit together.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

The plastic is very dense and sounds good. There are several styles of claves. I just made my son a pair of the traditional round claves out of cocobola and they turned out well. Rosewood is the traditional wood. The way they are played is to hold one clave cupped in your hand with your finger tips and pad of your palm. To make holding easier the oblong cupped style developed (or returned). I am thinking of making several pair from different woods.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Many are plastic today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Patoka
    "Normally they are made of wood but nowadays they are also made of fibreglass or plastics due to the longer durability of these materials."
    I should have known that some heretic would get around to committing such a heinous act as making claves from plastic. Nothing is sacred anymore.

I say give 'em jail time.