Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first plane... flea market find...

Cool first plane... flea market find...

hi guys!

new to sawmillcreek but been watching from the wings for a while... love these forums!

so i went to a flea market yesterday and found a good ol' stanley no. 5 jack plane... there was a deal of rust but it looked square and sound, and for 10 bucks i figured i'd give it a try. after cleaning and fettling for a few hours i got some really nice, thin, even shavings.

here's some photos... how'd i do?

Thumbs up Great job!

Julian,
    You are advancing a lot faster than many of us did when we picked up our first plane. Way to go!

Matt

thanks matt! i have all you guys to thank... poring over the forums definitely helped me find ideas about how to do this stuff!

Blog Entries
    Julian,
    Welcome to the Creek and the slope.

Looks good.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Julian,

Good to see that you spent the time to learn how to maintain/restore your tool,

nice job!

Send it to me so I can test your workmanship. I'll let ya know what I think 'cause I don't have a #5.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I noticed that you didn't say you bought a plane, but your first plane. Looks like an addiction in the making...be sure to blame Jim Koepke.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pattee View Post
    Looks like an addiction in the making...be sure to blame Jim Koepke.
    The "Pied Piper of Planes!"

Julian,

A most propitious start! Perhaps WWII vintage? Remember, after you loose count of how many planes you own, it was all Jim's fault....

-Jerry

Well at least I know who to blame for my addiction when the Mrs. yells at me for buying more "junk".
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    Julian,

A most propitious start! Perhaps WWII vintage? Remember, after you loose count of how many planes you own, it was all Jim's fault....

-Jerry
    I lost count a long time ago, does that mean I can only blame myself?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

Yes.

opinion...

hi guys, thanks for all the great feedback!

so i tried some online sources to see if i couldn't determine the date/type on this plane... i think it's a type 17 - WWII production era... the knob/tote aren't rosewood and are secured with steel screws, the depth adjusting nut is hard rubber, and there's no frog adjusting screw. i don't have a frame of reference as to a heavier/thicker bottom casting, but it's pretty hefty...

does this compute? any opinions? and is a war-production jack still fairly common?

i thought i might be obsessing about these minutiae, but then i looked around...

thanks guys

Good job Julian!

Looks like a Type 17 to me although Hyper Kitten says the WWII era planes are hard to date. Of course Jim is the acknowledged expert 'round here.

As Jim and others have noted, parts were often mixed from type to type according to what was on hand, and definitive typing can be problematic. Stanley wasn't going to toss a batch of perfectly good frogs just because some nuts in the 21st century were obsessing over typing their planes. How rude of them! Still with the rubber adjuster and the black painted tote it sure looks like a 17.

I notice you also have the after market addition of a nial-hangin'-hole in the toe.

BTW this wasn’t a slippery slope for me – more like a short step off a steep cliff.

Did I ever tell you about the #7 that got away? Well . . . . . .

RD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post

BTW this wasn’t a slippery slope for me – more like a short step off a steep cliff.

Did I ever tell you about the #7 that got away? Well . . . . . .

Then there was the #7 that didn't get away. I had looked at it a couple of times and thought about it while going through an out of the way antique shop. Heck, the wood was in decent shape and would sell on eBay for as much as was being asked for this "bucket of rust on the shelf."

Then someone mentioned that they were interested in a #7 to rehab. So, I took a chance and bought it before it got away with the intention of getting it to the other person at cost. The person decided they didn't have the time to rehab a plane. So I did the rehab and now, it seems a little sweeter than my type 11 #7. It definitely has more of my heart, body and soul (sole?) invested into it than the "newer" #7.

Maybe one of those new LV convert a plane in to a scrapper kits can be bought for it, but that would also be good for my spare #6.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

jim