Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: No. 1 Stanley Plane-- Useful or Paper Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
    Philip,

The small plane you show is very interesting to me and may be the just the right size for me to make as a first metal plane project. Would you mind providing some details such as sizes, bed angle, construction details, materials, etc?.

Is the main body made from a solid steel block with the plane blade bed pinned to the sides? I can not see any dovetail type construction from the picture. Looks like a steel U channel with everything else inset into it.

I assume you made this plane but, if not, whoever did make it did an excellent job.

Don
    Don,
    Yes, I make them and you can see more at HandPlane central here: http://www.handplane.com/Planemaker-....php?cat_id=12 . Go to the second and third last pages that have pictures of "mini" planes.
    Very simple: the main body is the sole which is brass about 16mm thick to which the steel sides are rivetted. Subsequent ones are rivetted with brass so that the rivets are a feature. They are usually of bed angle 45 degrees, but I made various, including a scraper , chisel nose, rebater, low angle.
    The decision to make came when someone produced the Crown Planes as seen in catalogues and asked for "up rated" versions-these don't have adjusters so I included this feature. Great fun to make- you can get results quickly.
    Last edited by philip marcou; 08-20-2009 at 6:57 AM.

Philip,

Thank you for your help. I was not aware of this web site and appreciate the link. The pictures of your various planes provide a great deal of information and I am sure to be spending lots of time looking at them.

Your workmanship is top notch and I could only hope to do as well. Even so, I hope to start making one in the near future. It will be a good project for me.

Don