Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House electrical problem.

House electrical problem.

I am almost ashamed to ask this considering the field I work in, which is industrial electronics. I am not a licensed electrical but a troubleshooter.
    Heck, I go behind the electricians and find their mistakes, but this is a stumper and LOML is really getting irritated with it.
    Our home is about 2 1/2 years old and this problem has been there ever since it was newly built and I can't find it.
    There a 20 amp breaker that feeds three outlets in the kitchen. Of those outlets, one is almost never used and one has the coffee pot plugged into it and the other the microwave (that one is a ground fault).
    About every fifth time you hit start on the microwave it will trip the 20 amp breaker (not the ground fault).
    The breaker panel is out in the garage, so you have to go out to the garage and reset it.
    I have changed the breaker out, the ground fault receptacle and even replaced the microwave and it is still tripping.
    There is a different sound from the microwave when it trips, almost like a bump! or surge.
    You guys have never let me down, tell me what is wrong with this circuit.
    Oh, one other thing. I have tried unpluging the coffee pot to see if that that any effect, you know, both on at once. NOT!
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

more Qs

are the other 2 receptacles daisy chained from the GFR? have you inspected/replaced the non-GFR receptacles?

are you sure there is no other load on this circuit (garbage disposal, instant-hot, etc.)?

b
    Last edited by Brad Schafer; 10-21-2003 at 1:00 PM.

What if you try the microwave in the non GFI outlet? I assume the GFI is the type that is the outlet? Maybe remove the GFI altogether and see what happens.

When they wire the kitchen outlets is it 1 breaker for 3 duplex outlets. What does the electrical code say for your area?

Don,
    I'm with Brad on this one. Sounds like there is something else on the circuit. It could be something like the furnace for all you know! I guess it's time to put your trouble shooter hat on and figure out what the electrician did wrong versus attempting to ID the faulty components.

Good Luck,
    Wes

It could be the refridgerator - though a 20 amp shouldn't go unless it's pulling too many amps at start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    are the other 2 breakers daisy chained from the GFR? have you inspected/replaced the non-GFR receptacles?

are you sure there is no other load on this circuit (garbage disposal, instant-hot, etc.)?

b
    Brad I'm not sure what you are asking about the daisy chain. The one 20 amp circuit comes into the bottom of the GFR and out of the top it feeds the other two non-GFR's.
    I have not changed the two non-GFR's. I thought with nothing plugged into them it was not relevant. They are downstream, so to speak.
    Don

Sorry, I left something out. They keep bugging me here at work.

No garbage disposal or hot water. The dishwasher may be on that circiut but we never use it. I guess I need to check into that.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle
    What if you try the microwave in the non GFI outlet? I assume the GFI is the type that is the outlet? Maybe remove the GFI altogether and see what happens.
    Charles it is a ground fault outlet with the test/reset buttons on the front. I replaced it but I can slid the microwave down and try a non-GFR just to see what happens.
    It is an intermittent problem and has been known to go away for a day or two.
    Don

Blog Entries

A wild idea!

If there are three outlets in the ktichen on the same circuit, I bet there is a fourth. Go throw the breaker and see if the fridge light comes on when you opne the door. If so your kitchen was wired by the same guy that did mine.

Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Test for an open neutral...I just had an old circuit get flaky and that was the problem. Unfortunately for me, I have to have a new circuit pulled up to the MBR and bath...the problem area is inaccessable.

But barring something weird like that, I also suspect you have something else on that circuit that is occasionally contending with your microwave. While the two kitchen appliance circuits required by code are supposed to be dedicated...shortcuts could have been taken. "Something" is pulling amperage when the breaker is sprung. BTW, that situation would not cause a GFCI to pop...it reacts to different circumstances, not amperage load.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Farr
    The one 20 amp circuit comes into the bottom of the GFR and out of the top it feeds the other two non-GFR's.
    Don, that's what I was after. Apologies for poor clarity on my part.
    BTW - a GFCI basically measures flow from hot to neutral. If there's more than a few milliamps imbalance, it trips. This might be something as simple as poor ground wire routing inside a box.

First thing I'd do is open up the two (known) receptacles and check them out. Make sure they're in good shape and that the ground wire is securely fastened and routed correctly (read: not up against a neutral).

As other posts have suggested, I'd then plug the uwave into one of the other receptacles. If same thing happens, I'd shut the circuit down again and find the "4th" (or 5th) box.

Good luck,

b

Don, what I would do first is check the Amp Draw on the Circuit in question. Take the cover off the panel, and locate the hot wire on the breaker. Clamp the Amp Clamp Meter around the Hot Wire, and check the Amperage reading on the Meter, with the Microwave off. With the meter still clamped around the hot lead just beyond the breaker lug, have someone turn on the Microwave to the full power setting, and again check the Amp Draw. If it is a 20 breaker, you don't want to draw more than 80% of the 20 Amp rating, or 18 Amps. It the load on that circuit is drawing near or over 18 amps, there has to be another significant load on that circuit. It could be that you have a weak breaker that trips before it approaches the rated load limit, in this case, 20 Amps. If you find a safe amp draw on the circuit, I would replace the breaker, or swap the hot wire with another breaker above or below the suspect breaker in the panel, and see what happens after a few days. It just doesn't sound to me like a wiring problem...............it appears more like a loading or breaker problem. Good Luck, and be careful with those Electrons.............they can have an attitude at times!
    (During all of this, don't rule out the appliance itself........they have been know to make you pull your hair out looking for a secondary problem that doesn't exist!)

Don,

As an Ex-Electrician that has had his share of circuit troubleshooting, here is what I did and still do when I experience a weird problem like this:

1. Purchase a 9 volt (large lantern battery)
    2. Purchase a bell or buzzer that will operate on that voltage.
    3. Disconnect the HOT (black) wire and the Neutral (white) wire and wire the bell/buzzer and battery to those two wires.
    4. Unplug the microwave from the circuit.

With everything unplugged from the suspect circuit the bell should NOT ring. Take a plug and wire the two prongs together so that you can plug it in a "dead" recepticle that only has the battery/bell wired up to it. The bell will ring loudly when the circuit is completed.

With everything unplugged from the suspect circuit and the bell "buzzes" or rings softly, there is something else in the circuit that is drawing current and completing enough of the circuit to make the bell ring enough to be heard when close to the bell.

WARNING!!!! Only perform this test on recepticles that have been PROVEN to have no A/C power applied to them or you will really see fireworks!!!!!!

The above proceedure is one that I have used literally 100's of times. The low ringing will be an indication that a motor of some type in trying to run on the 9 Volt circuit. If this is the case, you need to look further into the circuit. Here, electrical code requires that the kitchen outlets be split across two seperate 20 Amp circuits.

You don't have to follow my advice, just an idea to help better troubleshoot and maybe resolve your problem with LOW VOLTAGE.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, upon further investigation I found a fourth outlet on the end of one of the cabinets. Unfortunately we never use that outlet either. I guess this weekend when I have time I will remove all the covers and inspect the outlets. Dennis I have a megger that I think I can do the same thing with that you are describing. Just measuring leakage to other circuits if I understand you correctly.
    Kevin, I also like your idea about moving it to a different breaker. My well pump is next to that breaker and I have had some unexplained dealings with that.
    thanks to all, you give me lots of things to check and try.

Oh Lee, the fridge or dishwasher is not on that circuit.
    Don

Don,
    A number of years ago I had the same problem that you are describing. The microwave would trip the breaker when it was first turned on. This happened intermitantly, sometimes more than once in a day and at others, several weeks apart. I never did find a cause other than the problem went away when we got a different microwave. Apparently, there was a high current draw at times when the microwave was first turned on.

Joe