Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic *NEW* idea! Please read!

Exclamation Fantastic *NEW* idea! Please read!

Dang it, sometimes I just surprise myself. What do you guys think of this awesome NEW idea I have: How about if the turners ALL got busy and entered in a little friendly turning contest? What’s that you say? Oh, it’s been done before so, it’s NOT a new idea, huh? Well fine then, but I thought I was on to something! “Scuse me, Scott? What was that?” Oh, yeah…The idea actually belongs to Scott Donley. Sorry ‘bout that, Scott!

OK, in all seriousness, how about it, boys and girls? Scott PM’d me yesterday, saying that it’s been a while since we’ve ventured into the contest thing. After conferring with my right-hand man, Andy Hoyt, we figured that with Christmas right around the corner and all that, this would be an awesome time for everyone to get involved.

So, what are we to turn? Well, you tell US!!! This is YOUR forum, your work and hopefully, your presents to give to someone special. And you may ask, “So what’s the prize(s)?” Fair question. There are none other than the satisfaction of a job well done and a little friendly competition! If you’re looking to make a killing on this, fo-get about it!

Rules? Well, there really are none. However, Scott made a very good point about there being quite a few “newbies” here and we do NOT want to exclude anyone!!! Hence, when thinking of suggestions for categories, please, keep that in mind. A couple things you may want to pass on for category suggestions might be hollow forms or natural edge bowls/forms. Remember, we’d really like to appeal to the masses. At the same time, for some of you more advanced spinners, it may be fun to get back to more of the basics. For folks such as myself, it would give me the opportunity to try and find the “ON” switch for my lathe! BTW, any entry(s) I would post would NOT be entered for consideration, just for fun!

Again, with Christmas in mind, think along lines of confetti lamps, candle holders, knick-knack boxes, potpourri bowls and such. Stuff suitable as stocking stuffers or small gifts for co-workers or similar. When considering possible categories, please remember that some of the newer turners don’t have 4-jaw chucks and the like, so we really need a category or two for spindle work. Not everyone has a vacuum chuck or cole jaw setup either so, maybe plates might be a little tough, as well. You get the idea…

So, if you’re up for a little challenge, please reply to this post with category suggestions. As a rough guideline, how about if we target Sunday evening (10/22) for getting suggestions in? Then, a couple of us will tally up the recommendations and get this thing kicked off! What say ye???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I like the idea of a new contest; I'm just now approaching the point of being good enough to enter. My only two suggestions are to submit something that we intend to give as a gift, and that the deadline for submissions be as late as possible, since my lathe just went down and I don't have a clue how to fix it.

a good all-around one is weed pots. I've never actually done one, but I hear it's the perfect newbie thing, and they would be neat stocking stuffers.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

I like the idea . . .not sure what I would turn, but lets procede. Lars

How about ornaments?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

How's about lidded boxes???
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

idea

since there are alot of newbies and i know that there are some youngsters also my son included bernies nephew etc,
    how about pens then we can give all the pens made to the freedom pens project with christmas coming as you said

just a thought
    Cory Fetzer

Candle holders (since I'm planning on giving away a bunch of them this Christmas )

Maybe different categories for tapers, tealights. votives...maybe even let in those oil-lamp thingies.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Awww, and I was just trying to goad Andy into a "Hoyt-head HF" contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stinson
    Awww, and I was just trying to goad Andy into a "Hoyt-head HF" contest.
    Finally! - Something I can win!

This is a great idea Scott/John. Let's get it done!

I am So in.
    Only the Blue Roads

Ok, so how about if everyone starts with a piece of wood, any wood, the same size. Say 4x4x8 or whatever. Then challenge yourself to turn something you've never done before. At the completion date and before any pictures are posted all the players that are still in throw their names in a hat and Andy or John makes a round robin sort of list where you send your piece to someone and receive one from someone else. After the trades are setup then the pics are posted for everyone to see. Maybe post a picture of the original wood and the finished product.

I thought you had gotten into Amway.
    Jim

"Hoyt-head hollowform"...isn't that, like, redundant?

You tee it up that high, I just gotta take a swing at it...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I"m In

John, you are the "get er done " guy Im in, just no bonkers, half the stuff I turn ends up looking like a bonker, or firewood, so I would have an unfair advantage
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

How about magic wands (I am addicted to turning 'em) I did like Curt's idea of trading pieces around !!!
    Isaiah 55:6-7