Thread: White Ash Burl Bowl

White Ash Burl Bowl

Hello Everyone,
    Here's another bowl I completed just last week.

It's from a White Ash Burl that I found at a local sawmill. I was helping my friend pick up some poplar for a project he was doing and just happened to ask the sawmill owner if he had any burls laying around. He brought me over to this big ole stump and said, "Here ya go." When I asked how much he said, "Ten bucks oughta' cover it." With a little help from my friend and a borrowed wheel barrow, we moved that burl stump into the back of my truck.

I finally sawed some up and left a chunk in my shop. When I came back into the shop the next day, there was sawdust all around the burl. It was infested with powder post beetles! Needless to say, I got that burl out of the shop and sprayed (soaked actually) it with Timbor. Later I bandsawed it into a round and rough turned it to shape. The roughed bowl was then soaked overnight in DNA. (I'd like to see the critters that survived Timbor AND Alcohol soaking!)

When it came time to final turn it, there was no sign of PPB infestation. There were however holes all through the blank. I decided to fill the smaller ones with Turquoise powder and the larger ones with ground coffee.
    I have to say, I was very impressed with this burl. The figure and color were unexpected and totally amazing! It was also ranked as some of the toughest wood I've turned. Not as bad as dried Osage Orange. But definitely tougher than maple burl. I had to resort to wearing my "fingerless" gloves to protect my hands.

I wanted the rim to have the look of a finished bowl, but feature the unexpected breaks of a natural edge bowl. The base gives the bowl a very small "lift" above the surface of the table and features a series of small concentric rings.

Specs:

• Outer dia.: 8 1/2"
    • Height: 4 1/2"
    • Wall thickness: 1/4"
    • Base dia.: 2 3/4"
    • Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 600 grit, burnished with craft paper
    • Finish: (1) coat of Bull's Eye Sealer, (3) coats of Watco's Danish Oil interspaced with buff by 0000 steel wool
    • Final: Buffed with White Diamond followed by a coat of Rennisance Wax

I'd appreciate any comments you'd like to make on the shape and proportions.
    Thanks for viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Awesome looking bowl Dominic. I like the from and the wood. Great job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good looking bowl Dom.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Dom,
    Well Done!
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Very nice, Dominic. It's a "bowl's bowl" and the simplicity lets the burl shine through!

If it's that sawyer just down the road from you, the critterss are not surprising. Anything I've ever gotten there had "condo" status.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice, Dominic. It's a "bowl's bowl" and the simplicity lets the burl shine through!

If it's that sawyer just down the road from you, the critters are not surprising. Anything I've ever gotten there had "condo" status.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...