Thread: ???? about a new subpanel! (Long)

???? about a new subpanel! (Long)

Howdy,

I figure no better place to ask my question than here, so hopefully you guys can enlighten me.

Situation: Normal 150 amp service (not sure about this, I have removed the panel and nothing indicates how many amp service there is)(Box has 4 220's- 12 15's- 12 20's). Box is full.

Goal: To power up a subpanel with 10 shop outlets, 2 light circuits, 2 220/20 amp circuits.

My current thinking is to use the existing range circuit(not used) to pull power for the subpanel. After it is all said and done- is this going to be the main breaker for the subpanel or will the subpanel have a mini-main 40 or 60 amp breaker? Which place gets the big breaker? Does this breaker have to be big enough to assume that most circuits are being used? They will not most certainly. The most I see using at one time is the tablesaw or jointer and the cyclone.

I am planning on running all of the circuits to the sub, but will bring in an expert to double check and hook it up to the main panel.

I hope you can make some sense of my written word

Thanks,
    Almost forgot:: Should I run the wiring in metal conduit? Basement shop with plywood walls over studs.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Zelt; 10-21-2003 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Zelt
    Howdy,

I figure no better place to ask my question than here, so hopefully you guys can enlighten me.

Situation: Normal 150 amp service (not sure about this, I have removed the panel and nothing indicates how many amp service there is)(Box has 4 220's- 12 15's- 12 20's). Box is full.

Goal: To power up a sub panel with 10 shop outlets, 2 light circuits, 2 220/20 amp circuits.

My current thinking is to use the existing range circuit(not used) to pull power for the sub panel. After it is all said and done- is this going to be the main breaker for the sub panel or will the sub panel have a mini-main 40 or 60 amp breaker? Which place gets the big breaker? Does this breaker have to be big enough to assume that most circuits are being used? They will not most certainly. The most I see using at one time is the table saw or jointer and the cyclone.

I am planning on running all of the circuits to the sub, but will bring in an expert to double check and hook it up to the main panel.
    ** I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN but in 20 years of wiring I never burnt down a place **

However that is pretty much how I did my sub.. 100 amp service(sucks), took out 30 amp breaker to the dryer, put in 40amp, ran 6/3 wire (not in conduit but stapled down every 16") through attic into sub panel (there is no main breaker in subpanel) and ran a new dryer circuit from there and the circuit for my garage/shop...

2 Items to note:

1. Make sure Ground & Netrual are isolated in the sub panel -- not tied together as in the main box.

2. If you aren't comortable doing this --- GET A PRO, beats a burnt down house.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    ** I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN but in 20 years of wiring I never burnt down a place **

However that is pretty much how I did my sub.. 100 amp service(sucks), took out 30 amp breaker to the dryer, put in 40amp, ran 6/3 wire (not in conduit but stapled down every 16") through attic into sub panel (there is no main breaker in subpanel) and ran a new dryer circuit from there and the circuit for my garage/shop...

2 Items to note:

1. Make sure Ground & Netrual are isolated in the sub panel -- not tied together as in the main box.

2. If you aren't comortable doing this --- GET A PRO, beats a burnt down house.

Thanks alot Mike!
    Richland eh? I go on a golf trip every year up there at Gull Lakes. Beautiful area!

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce, like Mike I am not an electrician, but have wired many sub-panels for my workshop (I'm in the Navy and move a lot). The sub you use can be a standard box with a "main" breaker at the top, or one specifically designed for a sub-panel and not have one. The cheaper solution is the sub-panel. This then makes the breaker in your main panel the "main" breaker for the sub. This breaker should be rated for what you expect to use. That is, if you plan on having a 30 amp for a tablesaw and 20 amp for dust collection and 15 amp for lighting then the main should be at least equal to that. I personally use a 100 amp service for my sub-panel. You can usually tell your house amp service by the rating on your main breaker. If it's a 100 then that's probably the service coming into the house, though that is not always true - I've seen breakers fitted with 100amps yet the service coming in was 200. Go figure.

As Mike pointed out, one of the most important things to remember with a sub-panel is that it is not wired like a main. The neutrals and grounds are separated. There is a grounding lug in the bus bars that has to be removed (or your box may not have it installed) to separate them.

Not sure about your area, but in most of the places I have lived, wires can not be surface run unprotected. They must be in conduit. You'll need to check your local codes.

When I move I actually uninstall the sub-panel, all the outlets, all the wiring, and the conduit and move it with me. It's a real PITA but stops me from having to buy it all new every 2-3 years when I move - I do the same thing with my DC ducting as well. Usually takes me months to set the shop up.

Again, if you are uncomfortable with any of it, get a pro to help.

Be well,

Doc

Doc,

Thanks for giving me the time and great ideas. Funny thing now that I'm planning on running new circuits, now I am wondering about the whole darn layout! Is this a circle or what?

Bruce