Thread: Bleaching???

Bleaching???

Two questions... how do you bleach wood/what solution do you use? Would regular clorox work? And will bleaching work on any wood???
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Jonathon,

I've used Oxalic Acid to bleach wood a time or two. Stuff is TOXIC and you don't wanna breath the powder and use chemical gloves when applying. I believe I got mine at Wal Mart. Remember, a little goes a long way. Mix it with warm/hot water and may take several applications to get your desired lightness of color. Neutralize it with water and wash it "well". If you turn the wood after the bleaching? Remember to wear a good respirator as the some residue of the bleach could still be in the wood and you don't wanna breath that either.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jonathon
    At the AAW Symposium Betty Scarpino talked about bleaching. She recomeneded a Wood Bleach from Strip-ease. Its a 2 part liquid product. Home Depo carries it but not in all stores. I know because my local store is a medium sized Home Depo and does not have it. I'm still looking to buy some but her demo showed her making walnut into maple, pretty amazing.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Kleenstrip is the name

Bleached boxelder
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Anthony, you are right. Nice work. That was another thing Betty pointed out was that the bleach would not effect the red streak in Box Elder.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek
    Thanks Anthony, you are right. Nice work. That was another thing Betty pointed out was that the bleach would not effect the red streak in Box Elder.
    Frank
    That's good to know. OTOH, does it have any effect on possibly 'fixing' the colors which naturally have a tendancy to turn dark with time?