Thread: Polishing shellac to gloss

Polishing shellac to gloss

I just finished padding a small piece with Zinnser shellac. Looks great, glossy, except for some dust nibs, etc.
    In order to polish a shellac finish to a gloss, can I just use auto polish? If so, any specs? I've tried without much success to polish using a buffer (it burnt/smudged the shellac), and rubbing compound (too coarse for gloss). So I've been frustrated, and with my luck lately I'll have to try 10 kinds of auto polish before I find the right one. Suggestions appreciated..! thanks

Matt,

Normally I go through my shellac schedule like I was french polishing the piece. The final steps are after I have a nice "build" of shellac on there, I then apply very little shellac and alcohol to the pad and apply and as the pad begins to dry out and loose it's holding of the shellac and alcohol, is when I start pressing harder while "applying" more shellac if you will. Pretty soon the pad will feel totally dry and I'm pressing VERY hard on the pad while doing a "buffing action" across the piece. Very quickly, I have a top this is smooth and very shinny. You can rub it out, but you'll need to allow it to cure for about 3 weeks to best ensure the shellac is nice and hard. You can also use pumice / rotten stone to rub the finish out as well. Make sure you use a felt block for doing this and use mineral oil or parrafin oil for the lubricant.

I've read of folks rubbing out a finish with auto polish. I just don't remember what it was, nor have I ever tried it. Maybe it's time I did.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I do it similiar to Dennis using a buffing, circular motion and the pad with 1/2 DA and 1/2 shellac w a drop of mineral oil. You get a pretty high gloss that way as you increase the amt of DA each time. I've heard of the auto polish technique but have never used...
    Jerry

Shellac is not the best candidate for rubbing to a higher gloss. As you have found, it readily melts under power buffing and does not take well to automotive rubbing compounds applied by hand. The solvents in rubbing compounds can damage shellac.

I have had some success using pumice and rottenstone with mineral oil as the lubricant.

A well applied padded finish should be virtually dust free and should not need any further "rubbing". When padding, the shellac should be dry within a couple of inches behind the pad. If not, you are using too much shellac.
    Howie.........

padding

Thank you Dennis, Jerry, Howie. I guess I will just keep trying to get the padding to leave a smooth gloss, and then no rubbing out will be needed. I am having trouble, though with French Polishing.. I never know how much oil, shellac, or DA to use on the pad.. and the result isn't great. I now resort to just using coats of wiped on shellac, which have some fine lines but at least the result is a gloss. ... sigh.

Matt, there is an article in the November issue (#125) of American Woodworker on this subject.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.