Thread: Geronimo!

Geronimo!

Into the abyss...

Been thinking about getting into this for awhile. So I jumped in with both feet. Below, you'll see the lathe stand I built. 2nd pic is the result of me experimenting with a skew chisel on some pen blanks (red oak). I didn't put the brass tubes in the blanks, I just wanted to turn something about that size. My wife really likes pens. I figure I have a lot of practicing to do. I'd like to take a class or two - maybe at WC.

Since I've been thinking of it for awhile, I've been keeping cutoffs (cherry, white oak, mahogany, various maples). My BIL also gifted me a couple chunks of Olive wood. So once I get some technique down, I have some good wood to work with.

3rd pic is of my son. I asked him "Do you think Daddy is any good at this turning thing?" He's a good boy, but he's got to see the proof. Hopefully, with time, I'll turn out something worthwhile.

4th pic - Well, thats just after I asked him what he thought of the Tigers a few hours ago. How bout them Cards?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Congrats to you and the Cards ( there are alot of us Redbird fans up here in the Omaha area you know ) I have seen that lathe and it looks like a nice choice. For the non VS models it has some nice features. The belts are easy access and it incudes the 60 degree center for turning pens when most don't come with that.

Corey

Congratulations on the new lathe and bench!

I noticed you have a flammable products cabinet next to your grinder. Will you be moving the lathe or the cabinet when grinding?

Joe

Gary,

I never expected to see you fall into the abyss, but then again, I never expected to find myself there either

That is a nice looking lathe set up. I realy like the bench you made for it, is it from Shopnotes? I have my grinder mounted next to my lathe on the bench I built and really find it handy. As much as I lke my bench, I am thinking of building another one at some point like the one you have. The extra and convenience of the additional storage has me drooling.

Great looking boy you have and getting him started early in the shop will mean a lot of good memories later down the road.

Congrats, Gary! Gotta' say, when you set out to do something, you do it right!!! And, once you get the system down, you can start your son on it, too! Then you can make faces at him on the results of his first one! Funny how that part works, though: My daughter's first pen was just "ok" but, I was smiling from ear to ear! Have fun!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It is hopeless now. Good thing you completed your bench (which is more than I can say for myself). That may be the last piece of flatwork you ever do. Spinny stuff is addictive!

Congrats, and great kid you got there. He'll have all the gals chasing him before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    Congratulations on the new lathe and bench!

I noticed you have a flammable products cabinet next to your grinder. Will you be moving the lathe or the cabinet when grinding?

Joe
    I just got the cabinet Joe, and I hadn't planned on moving it. The vents are closed so no vapors escape. I can certainly smell them when I open the cabinet tho. I had planned on waiting a bit to grind after I've opened it.

I picked up the cabinet through my wife's work. It just seemed like a good thing to have, safety-wise (especially after a neighbor had a fire). That said, I'm always willing to listen to those more experienced than me. What are your thoughts?

Way to go, Gary!

I like the bench. Like Mark said, "That may be the last piece of flatwork you ever do". I couldn't agree more

Congtatulations on the new lathe .
    Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    I picked up the cabinet through my wife's work. It just seemed like a good thing to have, safety-wise (especially after a neighbor had a fire). That said, I'm always willing to listen to those more experienced than me. What are your thoughts?
    • Gasoline: Outside. Always, always, always.
    • Solvents typically used in WWing: OK in the cabinet, but no leaky containers. If you're picking up strong odors when you open the cabinet, you may have a tiny leak in a container. Check it out. Glad to see you're safety-minded.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 10-28-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Congrats on the lathe Gary. You did get a nice cabinet there also. Get that boy started early and young. Can't wait to see some pens come off that thing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Gary,

That is a nice looking lathe set up. I realy like the bench you made for it, is it from Shopnotes? I have my grinder mounted next to my lathe on the bench I built and really find it handy. As much as I lke my bench, I am thinking of building another one at some point like the one you have.
    Bob, I believe I did get basic design out of Shopnotes. I made the bench longer so I could add my bed extension in place of the grinder if I wanted. I also made it taller. With the levelers engaged, the benchtop is 37.5", putting spindle height about 50", which is about an inch above elbow height for me.

I based drawer height on what I had laying around the shop. I can get 4 tools in each drawer. I probably could have gotten 5, but I can always redo the holders if I need to.

It will be interesting to see DS's commentary on your turning...his baseball expressions are priceless!

(Congrats on your new addiction... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats on the lathe and the bench. Looks like a great setup. BTW, that boy looks as though he may want to get on that lathe before long.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.