Thread: Old saw mill or buzz saw blades!

Old saw mill or buzz saw blades!

Does anyone know where I could buy some? I've looked just about everywhere I could think of. I've also looked on ebay but some of the blade they had there where way to much money. I even places a WTB ad in the classified here. I'm not looking for any new ones or ones that have all the blades or teeth on them and I really don't care about rust unless it is so rusted that it is useless.

I was told that this forum would be one of my best bets on finding these blades or at lest getting closer to someone who knows where I can get them. Well thanks for the help. I know I'll be back at this forum when ever I get my router.

Scrounge the antique shops and flea markets. Old saw mill blades were very popular for several years for painting pictures on and there are many-many now hanging in the rec. rooms of homes. Where do you live? I have one I'll sell. I had intended to cut into knife blades but it just laughs at normal cutting methods and I don't have a plasma torch so that project went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Scrounge the antique shops and flea markets. Old saw mill blades were very popular for several years for painting pictures on and there are many-many now hanging in the rec. rooms of homes. Where do you live? I have one I'll sell. I had intended to cut into knife blades but it just laughs at normal cutting methods and I don't have a plasma torch so that project went nowhere.
    I'm wanting to do the same think cut it up for knife blades. If you still looking at doing that the advice I can give you is try anneal the metal. This is for L-6 steel

Annealed material: Preheat to 400/600F(205/315C). Maintain over 400F(205C) during welding. Allow to cool to hand warm (150F(65C) after welding

Other metals can be found here http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Campbell
    I'm wanting to do the same think cut it up for knife blades. If you still looking at doing that the advice I can give you is try anneal the metal. This is for L-6 steel

Annealed material: Preheat to 400/600F(205/315C). Maintain over 400F(205C) during welding. Allow to cool to hand warm (150F(65C) after welding

Other metals can be found here http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/
    I don't have a welder and I'm sure a hunk of steel that large would soak up heat from a lesser source. I could have it done with one of those water jet thingys but the guy wants more than $30.00 per blade and it would be a full day round trip driving. Not worth the effort.

check e bay. search buzz saw.