Thread: Coring rig for Rikon

Coring rig for Rikon

I was wondering if anyone knew of a coring rig for the Rikon. The ones I have seen wouldn't fit the Bango. I belive the tool post is 5/8". Or is it too underpowered for coring? I like the idea of saving wood and getting more bowls out of one blank.

Thanks,
    David

I would say that it is under powered. Everything I read says you need at least 1 hp to core because of the stress's. I have a 2 hp Nova and stopped it a number of times today while coring out some blanks.

With saying the above, McNaughton does sell a coring system for bowls 10" and under. The tools have a thinner blade then the standard or jumbo. I have the standard and love it.

You might be able to get by with this set if you just don't try and push it. The cutters will cut on there own with very little force if you let them.

Craft supplies USA sell the sets, but the mini does NOT come with a handle or tool support and then the tool support does have a 1" post.

The only way I know of to get around this is to find an old banjo off of a Jet or Delta 12" lathe and use that for the tool support. The only problem is, is that you will have as much as or more into the coring system then you have into the lathe by the time you are done.

It is nice to double or triple you number of bowls.

This was done this morning.

Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Blog Entries
    Even if you found the tools to core on that lathe, your motor would most likely burn up pretty quick. Way to much stress on that size HP.

My old lathe (Jet 1236) have a 3/4 HP and I was told it doesn't have enough power to core. On the size it can...it is not worth saving the size the core I will produce anyway.

I was also told that I might (most likely) damage my banjo in the process too.

Take it for what it is worth on your Rikon.
    Dario

I don't know how much motor you have on your Rikon, but 1 hp is a must for all three of the systems out there. They all remove about a 3/8 inch wide kerf, so if you can make a 3/8 inch wide shaving, you can core. The exception is the mini system from McNaughton. the cutters are just over 1/4 inch wide and take a lot less torque to use. I suppose you can get a smaller post for the tool rest weather you can order it, or can have it made. However there is another problem with the smaller lathes. The lowest point of the tool rest for the mini blades sits about 2 3/8 inches high (above the banjo). Add another 3/8 inch for the cutter, and this would have the cutter sitting at least 2 3/4 inches above the banjo which puts it above the center of some of the 12 inch lathes (the Oneway for sure). With all 3 of the systems, you have to cut at exact center height. I have been thinking about having a mini tool rest made for the mini McNaughton. I do demos with the coring systems, and would find it handy. In order to use the McNaughton on a 12 inch lathe, I have to take the tool support off, but keep the fingers on. This is one of those "professional driver on closed course, do not attempt" situations. Oneway has a 12, and 10 inch system, which comes with only 1 blade. The Woodcut system is nice, but doesn't core much over 10 inch diameter.
    robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 11-01-2006 at 6:17 PM.

While the specs may say "minimum 1hp" reality will quickly convince you that you need more. "Big coring" often isn't happy without 3hp which is why the high-end systems offer it as an option...the same machines with 2hp will turn just about anything. But coring...yalza!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got a e-mail back from Mike Mahoney about getting one but he talked me out of it because he said you really need a 2 HP 220V motor. He said the catalogs say 1 hp but he says they are even a little small. He said they will work but you need to take it slow.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the 2 HP Mustard machine and the Oneway system and you still have to go slow.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

On the 12 inch Oneway lathe, the Oneway coring system had to struggle a bit, but I do have a problem with them getting the cutter sharpened properly. They now have a jig available to help with that. They don't even have a picture of it up on their web site yet. The Woodcut had no problems. The mini McNaughton cut like butter. If you core, and have speed ranges, use the low speed high torque range. And like I said, if you can take a 3/8 inch wide shaving/kerf, then you can core. The lathe will let you know if you can do this. Coring systems are not tools that you can force. I have a PM, and can stall it out with any of the systems.
    robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 11-02-2006 at 2:03 AM.