Thread: What product to use?

What product to use?

I am building a cabinet that will sit below my Jet lathe. It is made from Oak veneer plywood. I was thinking about applying some sort of finish that would allow the grain of the oak to show through however have a Jet white pigment. I was considering edging the drawers with 1/8 bead molding painted red and handmade pulls painted black. I would like the red and black to be vibrant and the white to be opaque. What would be the best products for each color and any tips for application. Should this process include a sealing coat like varnish, poly etc.? Thanks for your input.

Nick - If you use Oak veneer plywood from the local BORG you won't have to worry about not being able to see the grain of the oak. Usually rotary cut, with big cathedral grain patterns. Difficult to hide and native only to utility grade oak veneer plywood.

Given that this will be a utilitarian cabinet and not fine furniture, try a $10 can of Minwax Water Based Stain Clear, and have it tinted white. You can brush it on and wash up with soap and water. Paint your molding and handles, then top coat with a spray can of Polycrylic gloss.

Another option is to spray with either Rustoleum Canvass White, or Krylon Ivory Gloss - they're both dead ringers for OEM Jet White.

I read an article about a year ago in Wood Magazine about thinning oil-based paint with MS to do what yr trying to do. They then topcoated with polyurethane.

There are tinted lacquers available if you want to spray (check out Homestead) but I'm not sure you want to go to that expense for this application?