Thread: Dust collector vibrations

Dust collector vibrations

Hi
    I am a newbie here so please bear with me. I purchased a Sears dust collector and hooked it up to my VersaLaser 200. It sets on the same table as the VL and I get vibrations from the collector. It's so bad that I have to tape whatever I am lasering down to the bed or it just shimmies all over the table. I have tried a 2 inch thick foam pad, some 1/2 inch rubber sheets and now have the inserts from a life jacket. Nothing stops the vibration. Any ideas outside of moving the collector to a seperate location?
    Thanks in advance for the suggetions.
    Herman

Vibration help

I had the same problem with my dust collector. I put some rubber feet in the screw holes instead of the casters. Worked like a charm. Good luck!

Leigh

Hi Herman,

By the sounds of it, you have the dust collector very close to your laser. This is not the optimal place for it. Do you have a 4" pipe off the output port? Is it venting outside? I hope so !

You probably should put the dust collector blower at the far end of the 4" pipe on the outside of your workshop. This way, the air flow (suction) will be optimal and you'll experience lower noise and virtually no vibration.

I built a small plywood enclosure for my blower. It sits just outside the back of my house. I run the blower hose through the wall using a piece of solid 4" plastic pipe.

ave F.

The least you should do is to move it off of the same table as the laser!! Put it on the floor under the laser and the vibration will be eliminated.

I bought a new Delta AP300 and it too shook. I called Delta and they sent out a new impella and now it is sooooo smooth!

Move the unit outside as others have said. I wired a plug outside and a switch next to the laser so I can turn mine on and off. I also put a blast gate next to the wall so I can stop "Critters" from getting inside of the laser as well as cold air this time of the year.

Ed
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

I have my collector about 15 feet away from my laser in another room. I use a remote control to turn it on and I can barely hear it except for the air being drawn through the laser.
    Because of the type of stuff we are trying to vent away, it is way better to have the collector at the farthest point from the laser so you are creating vacuum in the tube instead of pressure - less chance of leaking nasty smelly stuff in your work area.