Thread: Soliciting opinions on 6" Dual mode sander opinions

Soliciting opinions on 6" Dual mode sander opinions

I own a Festool 125 ROS/CT22 package. I have been considering the purchase of a Festool 150/5. Today I was at the OC, CA WW show and saw the Metabo 6" dual mode at $156. I have read pluses on both brands. I can vouch for the Festool. The dilemma for a garage hobbyist WW is will the Metabo provide the same quality of sanding that I expect to get from the Festool? It isn't like it is going to be used everyday, and do I really need a Mercedes, when a Lexus will do.

The initial sanding quality will likely be similar with the Metabo...it's a good brand. The Festool will have the edge when it comes to dust extraction which also affects abrasive life. Do remember that the 150/5 is "just a ROS"...if you want the dual mode, you need to go to the Rotex. Honestly, the only time I use the more agressive mode on my Rotex is when I'm shaping the edges of natural edge slabs or working out some kinks caused by my drum sander on the same. Otherwise, I typically use my 150/3 the most with the Rotex in ROS mode (150/5 equivalent) as a reserve or to keep a second grit handy on a tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,interesting response. Raises a new question. 150/3 vs 150/5 when what you really want is a good finish sander. One that puts that really nice finishing touch.

I've had this sander for several years now and am still very happy with it. I don't have any experience with Festool to compare it to though. I can say that i like it so much that I very seldom use my 5" ROS any longer. Extremely smooth in either mode.

Oh yeh, mine is the RIDGID version if that matters, same sander, different color.

Jim in Idaho

John, I consider the 150/3 the "finer" finish sander due to the smaller orbit. But I also suspect that most folks will not see the difference on wood for the most part. I bought the /3 because the Rotex I bought at the same time had the /5 orbit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I assume that what you have now is the ES 125, ROS. Why is it that you are you considering another ROS in the ETS 150/5? As Jim said, if you want (need?) a dual mode sander, you should be looking at the RO 125 or RO 150. One point to consider is the 6" sanders cover 40 percent more surface area than 5" sanders, making the sanding go faster with the 6" sanders. Another point is paper - the paper is interchangeable in the ROS and dual mode sanders with the same diameter pad. If you choose a 6" sander to add to your existing 5" sander, you will need different paper for the two sanders. Sorry, I have no experience with Metabo.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

For the record, Uncle Bob recommended the 150/5 to me when I first contacted him. If I had paid attention I wouldn't be asking this question now.

The Metabo takes 8 hole paper. Norton sandpaper is a little less expensive than Festool, and yes I have a sugar pot full of Festool sandpaper.
    Last edited by John Keane; 11-04-2006 at 9:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane
    ...Norton sandpaper is a little less expensive than Festool...
    But Festool paper lasts much longer than other papers because of the excellent dust extraction on Festool sanders, offsetting the concern about paper cost.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I just returned from the OC (Costa Mesa) WW show. Got an opportunity to test drive the Festool 150/3. Lots of power. A man's tool. Went across the hall to the Metabo station. Picked up the Metabo and immediately put it back down. One hour with the Metabo , if I lasted that long, and I would be worn out. This time the Mercedes beats the Lexus.
    Bob Marino I will be in touch.

I just bit the bullet and bought the 150/5. Christmas comes early to Bob Marino's house. I hope that it comes early and late to all of yours. Thanks for your counsel.