Thread: Infinity planer knives for DeWalt 735

Infinity planer knives for DeWalt 735

Hi folks,

Has anyone used the Infinity knives for the Dewalt 735 planer? Do they last longer than the DeWalt knives? Are they worth $60.00. Grizzley has the DeWalt knives for $45.00. I have had a set of the Dewalt knives sharpened, but that cost my $47.00!

I see some folks are using power sharpeners on planer knives. Anyone sharpening knives for the DeWalt. Due to the way the knives attach to the cutterhead (pin on cutterhead & hole in knife), how many times can you sharpen a set before they are too short?

Thanks
    JOnathan

I've been using one of these
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4866
    for about a year now. I'm on the 2nd resharpening of two different sets of blades. It has worked very well. I bought the unit on sale with the planer knife jig for a little over $100 on sale. As you can calculate, it paid for itself very quickly.

It's not a Tormek (or a Jet), it requires some fiddling to get it just right, and it's butt ugly. But it works!

$47??? You can buy them new for less:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...744641-6951230

I haven't sharpened them myself, yet. Saving up for the Jet. Once I get that I'll give it a shot.

I have some of Infinity's router bits and a couple of their rip saw blades. They are pretty high quality stuff and are worth the extra dollars to me. I have the 735 and have not used it a whole lot but when I need new blades they will be Infinity.

To me, saving fifteen or twenty bucks now cost you in dollars and time down the road. I know that there are other brands that are hight quality and I would go with quality over low price with anything that cuts, especially at hight speed.

A search on this site might bring up some results as I know that this has been discussed before. I do remember last year that some of the woodworkers were complaining about how fast their DeWalt knives were dulling out.

Good Luck!

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-06-2006 at 9:37 PM.

Thanks for the info.

Brad, I'll check that unit out.

Bob, thanks for the link to Amazon. I needed a sharp set right away and my local lowes sells them for $57.00, so a sharpening was the best option. The planer/jointer jig says it will handle blades up to 12 inches long. Are you able to resharpen the 13" blades for the 735?

Allen, Thanks, perhaps I'll get a set of infinity blades & a something to resharpen them with.

Jonathan
    Last edited by jonathan snyder; 11-06-2006 at 9:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder
    The planer/jointer jig says it will handle blades up to 12 inches long. Are you able to resharpen the 13" blades for the 735?
    I think this question is directed at me. The jig is only 12", but the ends of the knife can stick out the end of the jig and still have enough support. It works.

I read on other forums that the Infinity knives are very nice and last significantly longer than the Dewalt knives. I just bought a set myself and I am waiting for the old set of Dewalts to dull so I can use them

I bought Infinity blades for my Parks 12" planer and have been very pleased. Not sure if they are the same alloy etc. as those for the Dewalt, but they have good products and service. JCB.