Thread: Cheap 6" tubing ? For working out DC duct layout

Cheap 6" tubing ? For working out DC duct layout

I need to start planning my DC duct layout pretty soon. I have a couple of problem areas that I'd like to work out first with something real cheap to see if I can get bends minimized, etc. before I actually spend money on the final ducting. I was originally thinking paper or cardboard tubes, but cant seem to find anything in 6". It's also not flexible but I could work around that. Anybody have any suggestions for some kind of 6" tubing that's cheap and readily available that I can use for working out some duct run kinks? Flexible would be nice. Something I could cut with a utility knife hopefully. ??
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, I can't think of anything like that either. I did a lot of prep work in my Punch! Home Design software to get the basics figured out, set the equipment up where I wanted it, then just measured and cut the PVC until I got the end of the pipe and the subsequent fitting to point the direction I wanted it to go. I got close enough on the first of most cuts that a little work on the make shift disc sander got me the correct length. (RAS with a cutoff disc installed, and sandpaper glued to it!) I made a couple of wrong cuts on the longer parts, but these pieces were used elsewhere in the system. Out of 50 feet of pipe, I have one 3 foot section left over, and will use part of it eventually coming out of a blastgate to go to the future jointer and router table, and maybe 2 to 3 feet of pipe I destroyed in the process. I just sealed the last of my fittings about 30 minutes ago. Well, actually I have one more to do. Broke the DC fitting on my MM E-16, and I've got the crack epoxied and drying. I'll put the fitting back on the adaptor and seal it on Thursday when I'm off for a long weekend!
    Good luck! Hopefully someone else will chime in with an idea that will work for you. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim
    It's actually only the first 6 ft or so that I want to mockup. I've got to come out of the DC closet wall then go up about 3 ft to get over the rafters, then make another turn to point into the shop area. Once I get it into the rafters I should be able to work around little issues. Just cant seem to figure out a good way to get up there and was hoping to experiment first. Thought I'd play with both 30 and 45 deg bends of something I can throw out - just to see what kind of combo of metal ells might work out best.
    Use the fence Luke

Why don't you just buy some crafting cardstock and "roll your own" to test out your situations....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Doug, you might try some clothes-dryer vent ducting, which is pretty flexible and not expensive. Then when you finish, you can duct your dryer!--or not.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I tried the corrugated drain pipe (wall thickness less than 1/16") and it howled with a whistling harmonic sound that was unbearable. If it doesnt have to run the stuff is cheap (I paid $8 for 10') and available at lumber yards here anyway.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Why dont you just buy some HVAC snap lock pipe and elbows from your local Home depot or Lowes and whatever you dont use in your final layout, take it back?

A while back, my wife asked me to stop at a carpet store and pick up some cardboard tubing that carpet comes rolled on. When I got to the store, i found they had cardboard and plastic tubing. I took a couple of each since it was free, and when I got home I discovered that all the fittings from my dustcollection system worked with the plastic tubing. However, it is only 4 inch tubing, but the price is certainly right.
    Bob (It also comes is longer lengths than pvc pipe