Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good hardwood supplier in west central OH

Good hardwood supplier in west central OH

Went to a local hardwood supplier today here in west central Ohio. Very nice fancy facility. Still travel in the old style horse and buggy, but a very large diesel engine running a generator. Anyway needed oak or maple to make a bunk bed for the grandkids Christmas. Project calls for 58 bf. Priced rough cut. I really had to look out the window to make sure that I was not in NYC when he quoted me the lumber. $464.85 for oak and $654.80 for maple with a additional .30 bf to straight edge one side. I am still in sticker shock.
    Any suggestions on other suppliers. Oh yes, he figured 90 bf because of waste, etc.
    Chuck

Not sure how far you are from Columbus, Delaware, etc. You could try in Columbus- Dealers Lumber , Emerson. Or I could skip all of this, and give you the link I found. Lumber yards by County

Hope this helps.

I'm no help on the lumber suppliers, but $5.16 a BF for rough cut oak?

Wow

Wow. Get on the phone and call Kiem Lumber. Talk to other guys in your local wood club. Go to a local feed and grain store and talk up a few guys. There are many small time sawmills in Ohio. I live in Hinckley and with a bit of a drive I have three places that I can get wood ar reasonable prices with good service.

Thanks for the link Derek. Will check it out.
    Yes Robert and just think for another 2.15 a bf I could have had maple
    I agree about the lumber yards in Ohio as well as plenty of woods. Just been out of touch with it so long, can't find them.
    Thanks guys,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge
    Wow. Get on the phone and call Kiem Lumber. Talk to other guys in your local wood club. Go to a local feed and grain store and talk up a few guys. There are many small time sawmills in Ohio. I live in Hinckley and with a bit of a drive I have three places that I can get wood ar reasonable prices with good service.
    Live about 60 miles NW of Columbus, not a bad drive straight down 33. I have looked for woodworking clubs in the area but have not found any (to rural). I am sure that there are other mills here in western Ohio, just have not found them yet. But at those prices I will drive a ways to get a realalistic price. Isn't Hinckley where those big black birds come back to every year? Have them drop some off on their way south for the winter
    Thanks for all of the help.
    Chuck

I get all of my lumber at Frank Miller Lumber in Union City, Indiana. This is right on the border of Ohio and Indiana. They have a nice outlet store and good prices.

http://www.frankmiller.com/
    Tipp City, Ohio

Thanks for the tip Ralph. Not that far from me right across 47. Probably only 55 to 60 miles. I live just NW of Bellefontaine.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

9. Chuck
    If you go to the Columbus Woodworking Show in January, make sure you stop by the Frank Miller booth and pick up one of their 25% off coupons. I used my last coupon to buy 150 bf of mahogany and quarter sawn white oak.

Ralph
    Tipp City, Ohio

Its probably not as good of an option as FML, but Ken Craft Company in Toledo has OK prices and a decent selection.

Chuck. there is also www.willislumber.com located in Washington Court House, they have a good selection of hardwoods, and deliver free in Ohio, which is a rare thing anymore.
    I have used them and was very pleased with the quality and service
    Charlie

Try Siefkers sawmill west of Lima.

Chuck,

You might check out Siefkers sawmill just west of Lima on St. Rt. 309. I by most all of my lumber there and the prices are considerably less than the ones you quoted.

Currently, red oak is $2.50, White oak is $2.50, hard maple is $2.60, soft maple is $2.30 and cherry is $4.00. OF course these prices are for 4/4 stock but they do have quite a bit of 8/4 in stock at slightly higher prices.

The phone number is 419-339-1956. I wouldnt think the trip would be more than an hour for you.

Greg

Kiln dried lumber at competitive prices

Check out Kreis lumber co in Marysville Oh just took out of the kiln 11-22-11 very nice hard maple and red oak. The warehouse is loaded with rare native hard wood and goooood prices. Contacts Steve Kreis 937-537-1248 and Bill Kreis 937-537-0519. Google kreis sawmill to check out the site
    Last edited by Bill kreis; 11-24-2011 at 9:52 PM.

about 5 miles north on 68, at cr 113. Hochstetlers Hardwoods, $2.20 white oak#1 common, .25 for one staight edge. \

Here's a link to the one Steven posted. Don't know anything about them but I was curious where they were.
    http://www.hochstetlerlumber.com/