Thread: Can someone double check me on this please? (bd ft)

Can someone double check me on this please? (bd ft)

Menards has a sale this weekend on S4S hardwood - 30% off.
    They have a 1x6x12' piece of Cherry with a list price of $87.08.
    30% off that would be $60.96.

I'm using an online board foot calculator to come up with 4.13 bd ft.
    http://extension.missouri.edu/script...ore/G05506.asp

I'm plugging in:
    .75" thick
    5.5" wide
    12 feet long.

I'm coming up with $14.76 per bd ft.

Is that correct?
    TIA!

Generally, you use the nominal dimensions, not actual, to figure BF cost. 1x6x12 = 6 BF, so you are just over $10 / BF - more than double the wholesale cost.

edit, just to spell it out: $60.96 / 6 = $10.16 Way out of the west coast, I pay $2.00 - $2.30 for #1C and closer to $4.00 for prime clear heart face.
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 11-24-2011 at 1:26 PM.
    JR

Call up some local shops. Most of us are happy to turn a little stock into lunch money. You'll get a lot better price.

I paid $2.25/Bf for kiln dried, S2S "Glastonbury" Cherry, last year.

Unless this board is wrapped in gold, this price should be challenged.
    Local retail (Downes and Reader) is less than $5/Bf for clear Cherry - 6" wide.

As J.R. pointed out, you always use nominal measurements to calculate board feet. The board in question is 6 board feet nominal, which comes out to $10.16/bd ft., more than 2X the price I pay for 1" rough (around $4.50/bd ft in my area).
    Last edited by scott vroom; 11-24-2011 at 4:02 PM. Reason: to correct a math error
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Here's the link to Menards website w/some of the cherry.
    http://www.menards.com/main/building...rry/c-5675.htm

I'm trying to get a handle on just how far away from rough lumber the price is.
    It looks like three times the price is a good estimate.

There seem like something is wrong, on the web site, 1X6X12' is $87.00 and 5/4X6X12' is only $83.00? Beside the price seems ridiculous.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    There seem like something is wrong, on the web site, 1X6X12' is $87.00 and 5/4X6X12' is only $83.00? Beside the price seems ridiculous.
    What $14.50 a BF seems a good deal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for Menard's ! On the 5/4 being less $$ , volume Richard, it's all about volume.

Menard's , Home Depot, Lowe's , Ace hardware , Rockler , etc all are poor places to by hardwood lumber unless they are the only place close , ( hard to imagine that would be possible) or you need a one stick on a Sunday and no one else is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Definitely some pricing errors along with just generally high prices. IMHO, I'd buy the 1x8x12' cherry for $69.78 and rip 2 inches off it to get your 1x6x12'.

I try and try to explain to people. Big box stores are not cheap! They have more overhead! they are not cheap!

In other times I would allow customers to make me get quotes on materials from Box stores. It was 20% more on the nose every time, and for junk.

I have looked at their prices for finish lumber, just cracks me up. Poplar is usually about $10 bd ft, and its junk.

Find a real supplier that keeps the money in the community and doesn't blow it on an indy car.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 11-25-2011 at 5:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I try and try to explain to people. Big box stores are not cheap! They have more overhead! they are not cheap!In other times I would allow customers to make me get quotes on materials from Box stores. It was 20% more on the nose every time, and for junk.I have looked at their prices for finish lumber, just cracks me up. Poplar is usually about $10 bd ft, and its junk.Find a real supplier that keeps the money in the community and doesn't blow it on an indy car.Larry
    Ditto. ditto. Ditto. I did one job where all the materials were from a big box due to clients need to use his corporate card for all purchases. Cost him a fortune in junk lumber, cost him even more to have me laminate to reach thickness because they don't sell 8/4, plus I had to sand and repair the surface of every piece of that junk s4s they sell. Pretty sure their S4s stands for screwed 4 sides, because surfaced it wasn't. I calculated poplar at over $10/bf, I pay less than $2.30 for the same wood local.On the cherry thing that's a bit high, but I pay close to $8 for FAS hit and miss at 15/16 locally. This is really nice material with little sap, no knots. I'd love to see cherry in the $4 range, but that price here would be for 1000+ bf packs unless I wanted to drive to PA.

Im with Johnny. I would not have a problem selling some of my stock to local members. I'd have to look, but if memory serves me right I'm paying about $1.50 for poplar and less than $2 for red oak. I just bought some rustic cherry for $1.65 in the Kansas City area.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!