Thread: Grizzly sliding table review

Grizzly sliding table review

There's been a good bit of talk about small format sliders lately, some of which was me asking questions. I wound up choosing a Grizzly G0623X. I looked at the on sale Felders and some used industrial stuff at Hermance Machinery (a used SCMI). Either of those choices would have been good also. While price played a role in the final decision size played a larger role, my shop is crowded and on the second floor. This saw has a 60" crosscut with the table, which is about halfway in between the 72" slider that I wanted and don't have room for and the 48" which would be too small. I can rip 31" with the stock fence. I can modify the Beismeyer fence from my old saw to give me more width of rip if I decide I need it, but again room is an issue and the sliding table takes up substatial real estate to left of the blade. Immediate availability also greatly influenced my choice. My current commission is a three piece, solid wood, mitered case, entertainment center and my old saw just wasn't up to. Amazing how much easier things fit together when everything is square
    The outrigger picture shows the sliding table, large and solid. I bolted it on and it was set dead square straight from the factory. It provides lots of support for cutting panels. The blade tilt and raise/lower mechanisms both work very smoothly. I was suprised the adjustment rods weren't a bit stouter, 5/8" threaded rod....ask me about them in ten years. The fence is just so-so but, as I said, if I decide I'm not happy with it I have another option. I am disappointed in the blade guard. It bolts to the riving knife which is stout as a riving knife, but in no way substantial enough to support the blade guard. The first time you knock into the guard with a board the knife would be toast. Of course I've never used a blade guard, but I thought getting used to the new saw would be a good time to get used to using a blade guard also, as much for dust collection as for safety. Even without the blade guard the dust collection is pretty good thanks to a shroud over the blade/riving knife mechanism. The saw is a "good value" for sure. If I had my druthers I would have paid more for an improved fence, blade guard and a few beefier components but I assume they set a price point that they feel they have to meet and build accordingly. But from what I can see and feel they didn't cut any corners on the most important aspect, the slider. If all three saws had been sitting side by side, ready to go, I may have made a different choice but I really didn't feel I could get by with my current saw while waiting for one of the others. In the end, however, I'm quite happy with the Grizzly and think it will serve me well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Rakestraw; 12-14-2010 at 7:42 AM. Reason: clarity
    Mark R

Nice! My guess is that if you do need to replace threaded rods in 10 years, Griz will have them.

Thanks for the review. As for the guard, get an overarm and be done with it. I like them much better than ANY "table attached" guard I have ever see.

Hi Guys,
    I've been looking seriouly at this machine also. Shark Guard offers an upgrade riving knife and guard for this saw.
    I have an Incra TSLS on my Deta Con Saw which works great and if/when I buy a new saw I may use that or
    maybe upgrade the order to the fence that comes with the G0700 which looks a looks a little beefier. It is also mounted on the bigger G0699 and others larger panels saws from Grizzly. No doubt they are trying to keep the price down. No crime in that. I appreciate these reviews, as in the past a person was in the dark when it came to choosing machinery.
    I'd like to hear feedback after you've used the machine a while.

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,
    I just put the Shark Guard on my saw after using it without a guard for most of a year. Taking me a little bit to get used to using a guard, but worth the adjustment as it does a great job of catching the dust, not to mention maybe being safer for my fingers.
    Mark
    Mark R

The fence on my G0623X is a decent fence and does the job, I'm not sure Grizzly will allow you to upgrade the fence from the G0700. The Incra will not work with the G0623X unless you don't mount the rear extension table. I've looked at mounting the Uni Fence and Biesmeyer and they won't work either, the T Bar Design won't allow you to move the fence close to the blade. I also have the shark guard and its a nice replacement for the stock guard.
    Regards!
    Ed