Thread: Woodworks Show Report -- very long w/pics

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Woodworks Show Report -- very long w/pics

The Woodworks show in Nashville was a rewarding experience with both some ups and downs. The layout of the show was somewhat different than other tools shows I have attended. Areas where demonstrations were occuring were around the perimeter allowing lots of space for observers (thanks to Judy & Johnathan Franks - the show promoters).

The crowd on Friday was sparse. The Nashville weather was way too warm and sunny which I think affected the attendance both on Friday and Saturday. It rained Sunday and the attendance was much better.

Joy Barber did some demonstrations and was a big help, along with her Daughter Carly (my adopted Granddaughter ) and Son Ryan. Carly (10 yrs old) even did a demo making a beautiful braclet helper. Ryan was a big help when it came to loading the truck after the show was over. -- Thanks to all 3 of them.

The Upside:

1. My demos drew some large audiences from time to time and I really enjoyed all of the interaction with the people.
    2. A few SMC people and some WC people dropped by to say hello.
    3. Met some really interesting folks - namely Murray Wright and Harry Memlink from New Zealand who were also doing demos. Also Don Weber who was using the real neander methods (see pics of his lathe, etc below (foot and string powered).
    4. Met Saul Harris (C.O.O. of Joint Tech) and was able to share some suds on Saturday night with some of these folks. (p.s. found out a New Zealander is a better beer drinker than a redneck is .

The Downside:

1. The nice weather and show attendance
    2. Ended up with more stock (pen kits, mandrels, bushings, finishing supplies etc) than I expected to. Now the question is what to do with that?
    3. I didn't get much time to roam the show since I was so busy doing continuous demonstrations.
    4. Talked so much doing the demos that I ended up with laryngitis. On the way home I stopped at the Sportsman's Lodge in Nashville to have a drink and get some chow. I had to write my drink order (J.D. and a splash of water) on a bar napkin - because I could not speak. For those who know me - not being able to speak is a real disaster .

I only tooka few pics (please excuse the quality) which are attached:

#1 My booth space
    #2 Harry Memelink's work
    #3 Don Weber
    #4 Murray Wright
    #5 Saul Harris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Nice report and pics. Ken. Actually from those that know you, your not being able to speak may be a disaster for you but not them.:>) Sorry couldn't help it. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution