Thread: Fishing Lures

Fishing Lures

I'm going to make some of the fishing lures from PSI for Christmas gifts. I don't know if they will be used for actual fishing or not, but they might. Any suggestions as far as finish goes?

Thanks,
    Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

If you want them watertight, I think the epoxy finish (bar-top type) is the only type that will seal up completely.

I would this a boat building epoxy like West Systems would work real well. I use West Systems quite a bit but not for that. WS is a little more expensive than some but they hav a pretty reliable system and good tech support.

http://www.westsystem.com/

I hope that helps.

Quinn

you might wanna check out a website called Stripers on Line

Yes - just one "p"
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 11-13-2006 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Link to another forum removed - tsk tsk Kurt

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone ever tried to make a finish using two part epoxy like you use to stick stuff together?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

The PSI kits are exhorbitantly expensive, especially for a kit. You can buy a whole, new lure for about $4.00. Then take it apart, make a lure from scrap wood and screw the parts on. Or do an internet search, lure making is a fairly big hobby in itself.

Sorry Andy! My memory isn't as good as it one was.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    The PSI kits are exhorbitantly expensive, especially for a kit. You can buy a whole, new lure for about $4.00. Then take it apart, make a lure from scrap wood and screw the parts on. Or do an internet search, lure making is a fairly big hobby in itself.
    If I did it that way it would cost $40.00 to make ten lures. The kit from PSI makes ten lures and only cost me $20.00. Seems like a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco

Don't mean to be disagreeable, nor do I mean to hijack this thread. However, I don't think the PSI fishing lure kits are that outrageously priced. The kits include hardware to make 10 lures and cost around $20. Even if you by the turning blanks from PSI ($7.95/5 blanks, I believe) that works out to less than $4.00/lure + shipping. If you don't buy the blanks from PSI and use some scrap wood as Frank suggests it would be more like $2.00/lure + shipping. Not sure I see the logic in spending $4.00 on a new lure, taking it apart, turning a new lure body and then throwing away the lure body you just spent $4.00 on.

BTW, I have no affiliation with PSI. This looks like a fun project and I will be giving them a try sometime.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson
    If I did it that way it would cost $40.00 to make ten lures. The kit from PSI makes ten lures and only cost me $20.00. Seems like a good deal to me.
    Whoops, I'll have to take another look. I seemed to recall they were about $15.00 each. Nebber mind.