Thread: Rocking Horse Documentary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rocking Horse Documentary

Hello Everyone!!!

I'd like to start this thread by appologizing for my lack of contributions these past months. I've been extremely busy (I know, excuses...excuses...) and checking in only occasionally to try and keep up with all the great info being dished out so generously. I'd like to make up for it with this thread...

With the holidays fast approaching, some of you may be scrambling for ideas...what would be THE perfect gift for that special child in your lives? If you have some time, a bit of skill with hand tools and lots of patience, you could build one of these...yes, you COULD!!!

I hope I'm not being presumptious in my assumption that some of you may be interested in following my journey into the world of heirloom toys. In any event, it's definitely not required reading and can easily be ignored. In the hope that some of you may find it interesting, here is what I am proposing to do.

I have about 2 months, give or take a few days, until my son's 3rd birthday and if you haven't already guessed it, I'm planning to build him a rocking horse (on a swing/safety stand as opposed to rockers). I'll be using Anthony Dew's excellent book entitled "The Rocking Horse Maker" as my guide. I'm not approaching this as a total "newbie" as I've already built a few of the simpler horses from the aforementioned book. I will, however, be tackling the "medium size" horse this time, which involves a bit more carving and detailing in general. I will also be painting this horse...something I haven't done before. I would like to share the build process with you by documenting my progress, step by step...as it happens...so that you may take this journey with me.

Here are a few photos to get the ball rolling. The wood piled on my workbench will cover most of the material for the head and body...minus the legs and stand. I plan to bandsaw the parts to shape to save a bit of time, but most of the rest of the process will be done with hand tools. I've also attached photos of my previous attempts...the natural one was first, a gift for my godson (about 10 years ago)...and a "half-size" horse that I built as a decoration for my mom's house a few years ago...to whet your appetites, so to speak. Here we go.

I cannot provide plans for this project (due to copyrights on the material) but the book is available at most large bookstores.

I hope you enjoy the journey.

Best Regards,

Louis

p.s. I finally get to use that lovely "Forge Royale" carver's vise that I acquired a while back!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Louis,

Boy - long time no hear from you.......good to have you back!!!

Looking forward to the tutorial...and your always entertaining verbage..

I know I'll be following along closely. I've been thinking about doing something like this for my grandkids, but haven't started on anything yet. I really enjoy carving and am now working on a bust of Chief James A. Garfield Velarde. By the time I have that done, I'll be in good shape to take full advantage of your tutorial. Nice to know about that book, too.

Mike
    If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

Roy, it's good to be back!!! ...and verbage you say?? Moi?!? hehehe...
    I see you've been rubbing elbows with local celebrities...you certainly do get around! At the rate you're learning, you'll be the Master of the Universe in no time. Please remember me when you get to the top.

Mike, I'm glad that you're interested in the thread...I'll try and keep it entertaining and informative...and please post photos of Chief Velarde when you are so inclined.

I'm in trouble now...I've made it public and have no choice but to finish this project within the allotted deadline...January 21st!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 11-15-2006 at 2:37 PM.
    Louis Bois

Welcome back Louis and may I say you are a braver man than me to post a follow along project like this and then a definite finish date. I rarely finish on time or under budget, hell I have never done that.

Just curious though what is the wood you are using for this project?

Howdy James! I'm using Basswood for the head and body...hard maple for the legs...and probably ash or oak for the base. I'll be painting this horse, so the wood was selected for its "ease of carving" characteristics. Basswood carves easily and holds detail incredibly well...as I'm sure you know.

...and with regards to the deadline...I'm planning a few days off work, just to be safe!

Cheers,

Louis
    Louis Bois

A wee bit of progress tonight...made some templates and traced the patterns onto the wood in the most economical way...

On to the bandsaw...hopefully tomorrow.
    Louis Bois

I had a short stint in the basement tonight before being called away on Daddy-Duty!!!

I thicknessed the few pieces that needed it and planed the handsawn surfaces flat. I even managed to get some bandsawing in before the beloved call.

In any event, I should be starting to carve the head this weekend...chanting the deadline mantra...only 65 days to go!

Cheers,
    Louis Bois

WeeeEEELLllllll...things are about to get a whole lot more innerestin'...

I've got the head all glued up and ready for carving...which is the next step by the way. The head will get carved basically to completion before it gets attached to the body. This makes it easier to handle during this most complicated part of the project...and besides, if I screw up now, it's easier to just make another head than to tear one off a finished body.

My son decided to take a supervisory role...now that he's taken an active interest in his horse. He doesn't want to ride a piece of junk...and he wants it ON TIME!!! He's a tough boss. I had to make him a little dowel block toy to keep him off my back while I glued the head components together.

This is it...I need to sharpen my tools and make that first cut...the deepest of all, so they say.

See y'all Sunday night!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 11-17-2006 at 10:12 PM.
    Louis Bois

Louis,

I am enjoying this tutorial as well, I look forward to following this to the end.
    Thanks for posting this.

Howie

Don't you hate it when the boss insists on looking over your shoulder Louis.

Actually I suspect he will recall these few months witha great deal of fondness later in his life so there is that I am sure.

Enjoying this thread very much, maybe sometime there should be an Ontario Creeker get together.

First of all...Yes James, sounds like a plan...though it will have to wait until after January 21st!!!

A short note on some of the tools I'll be using for the project.

In the photo below, you'll see the basics of what I usually use, namely rasps of every description, a few gouges, a jeweler's saw, etc... There aren't many finesse tools required, but I sometimes will go to a few detail chisels for the mouth and inside the ears and nostrils.

My first horse (depicted above with a green saddle) was built using only a few handsaws, a set of 5 Marples blue chip chisels and a Marples jack (#5) plane. That's pretty much it.

My old carver's vise is working out wonderfully...much better than I had hoped it would, considering the size of the head I'm carving. Those 1/4" thick leather jaw liners just grab the work. I LOVE IT!!! Too bad Walmart doesn't carry them.
    Louis Bois