Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Horse Documentary

1. Louis, Last night I fell asleep to visions of your pony dancing in my head. I am so anxious to see the finished project and your son astride. I have 3 names for him to mull over... registered name, 'My Fancy Dan', everyday name, 'Fancy' 'Chisel' 'Bailey' in honor of the Liberty horses in the 'Barnum and Bailey' traveling circus.
    Thanks for sharing. It has been an inspiring journey, Susan

Thanks for the kind words Susan...and for the names. I'll run them by the boss and see what he thinks. In the meantime, you've spurred me on to post a few more pics...even though I said I wouldn't

The clear coats have muted the black somewhat and the horse is looking pretty cool right now...you'll have to use your imagination.

...and the black walnut for the stand is simply stunning. I can't wait to have it all together tomorrow night!!!!!

Cheers!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tease........
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

HAHAHA...So Jim...how do you like your black walnut?!? I'm partial to wedged...with a bit of oil...
    Louis Bois

Hmm....nice wedgies!!! (Beautiful work, Louis!)
    --

...well, it's not 100% complete yet...but it is rideable. I'll add the missing details next week. Here's a sneak peek.
    Louis Bois

Oh, man...that is just wonderful! Stunning, even!

I can see it now...your next project will be a full-size carousel... ...you know...something to horse around with in the shop for a few weeks, err...decades...
    --

Louis,

IN the spirit of the Old Seinfield re-runs...... tHE words of Kramer echo in my head:

GITTY-UP!!!!!!!

Excellent Job Captain!

Gorgeous, Louis, as expected. Couple of things I don't get:

1) Did you glue the saddle?

2) How does it rock? Seems that the two braces as installed would pretty much eliminate movement.

Pam

Louis, wow, that came out super !, you did a great job all the way around.
    Everything came together perfectly, carving, painting, outfitting.
    This has been a great thread to watch. Thanks for taking the time to document your journey.

Howie
    Last edited by Howie French; 01-21-2007 at 3:46 PM.

11. Young Master Bois,
    Happy Birthday to you and may you and your beautiful dappled grey steed travel many happy miles together!

Just wonderful craftmanship! A real nice/beautiful job of hand crafting the horse and cradle/rocker.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Another thanks for all the extra effort to let us follow along. I almost cringed when I first saw the paint. but after seeing it all decked out...it looks like the carousel horses I remember! Great job!

Mark

Thank you all for the kind words. Jim, Roy, Pam, Howie, Susan, Jim, Mark and all the others mentioned before. Your words of encouragement helped me along the course of this journey.

I'm pretty happy with it now that it's 99% finished!!! I still need to add a few coats of Waterlox to the base and there are a few decorative nails that go around the saddle blanket. There are also some brass domes that will be fitted over the rod ends that poke through the hoof rails...and that's about it!!! Should have it cleaned up this weekend.

Pam, about your questions:

1. The saddle is nailed on...all the tack is nailed on except for the bridle which is removable.

2. I assume the "braces" you're referring to are the hoof rails. They are bolted onto the horses legs. The swing irons that attach the rails to the main walnut stand are the center of the horse's movement. The brackets holding the rods to the stand are the pivot points. The horse moves about these pivot points in a gentle rocking motion.
    There's a website that has a short video showing a horse in motion...let me know if you'd like the link and I'll send it along...as I don't think I'm supposed to link to commercial sites here.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks to all for following the journey...hope it wasn't too boring. If any of you are thinking about tackling this project, I'll be happy to answer all questions and help where I can.

Hearty Cheers...I think I need a scotch...

Louis

p.s. My son was quite thrilled about seeing it today...but there was much going on at the time...so he rocked a bit and then sat for a while...eating pretzels. He was quite generous in sharing his new steed with all the other children at the party. That's my boy...but he's still playing with the name Rudolph...little bugger! I'll hold off on the brass plaque for a bit...just in case he comes to his senses!!!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 01-22-2007 at 8:26 PM.
    Louis Bois

The smile on his face is what makes it a total success! Congratulations on the completion of a really, really, really great project, Louis. I'm glad you shared it with us!
    --