Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Rocking Horse Documentary

...I'm adding this series of photos as reference for those who may wish to undertake this project. It's a good thing to see the horse from as many angles as possible...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

...a few more reference pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois
    ...I superimposed images at both extremes of the range of motion. This gives a pretty good idea of the rocking movement of this type of mechanism, aka, a "safety stand".
    Thanks, Louis, much easier to see than describe.

Pam

4. Bottom block splay angles

Louis, I have looked at Dew's book and read your notes on cutting the bottom block angles. Your picture of the layout of the cuts helps. How do you get the 5 and 8 degree angles? Did you cut the block by hand or use a band saw? How did you bevel the leg to match the block? Susan Castaneda

Susan, you're at a very crucial step. The key here is to draw your guidelines carefully and mark the faces with "top", "bottom", "front", "back" and clearly scribble on the waste areas.

The rear legs are relatively straightforward as there's only one angle to worry about. Make sure the angles flare out towards the bottom when viewing from the end.

For the rear legs, things are a bit trickier. We're working with a compound angle here, as you're painfully aware, but it's not that difficult if you mark everything carefully.

I did indeed make the cuts on the bandsaw...since I had one available...but it was a nerve-wracking process. I decided to cut to the outside of the lines and trim it up with various implements afterwards (2" paring chisel, plane and rasp). This worked out well for me.

Does your bandsaw tilt in both directions? This will be of tremendous help. If not, you can still do it, but you'll be flip-flopping the slab a bit more.

If I were doing it again, I'd probably have a go with a sharp handsaw. You can control things a bit better and do it very slowly. The bandsaw is quick, but also quite unforgiving.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 02-05-2007 at 9:00 PM.
    Louis Bois

Louis,

glad you posted the additonal pics, they are great and really give a more complete feel of the finished project, just beautiful ! For one last time... I would like to thank you for all the effort you put into creating this tutorial, it's been great to follow your journey.

Howie

ps. nothing beats the smile on your own child's face.

Louis,

I have closely followed this thread and your process from the beginning. I have to say that this project is one of the most stunning that I have ever seen. The detail that you have put in the horse is nothing short of extraordinary. Your son, your grandchildren, and your great grandchildren will enjoy and love this beautiful piece for years upon years.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of watching you work this masterpiece.

Thank you for taking the time to show everyone here on the creek the process that you went through to make it.

Barry