Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocking Horse Documentary

Another 90 minutes down below and tonight I concentrated on one of the toughest parts to carve...from a brute strength perspective...the chest.

This is one of the toughest areas due to limited access...it's surrounded by legs and chin...not to mention all the conflicting grain directions and tough end grain.

This is a fairly challenging area, not only due to the points mentioned above, but also because of the amount of the material that needs to be shaped. The shoulders come into play here, as well as the lower protruding chest muscles and the blending of the front legs...not to mention the neck. That's a lot to think about when you hit that big gouge with a mallet. One false move and you could take a chunk off the chin...or worse. A slow and steady hand is key here. There's no rush. It's worth doing right as it's a highly visible area.

So far, it's coming together nicely...hence the slow progress in a 90 minute period. I also smoothed the neck with spokeshaves and started blending the neck into the throat to expose the gullet? a bit more.

I think my plan of attack from hereon in will be to finish shaping this front area and work my way towards the back, blending the neck into the back, rounding the swell of the belly and finally the "derriere" and rear legs.

I'm not too worried about the deadline yet...as long as my leather parts, horse hair and metal parts arrive from England in time. I couldn't order them from the shop in Cambridge, ON as Gord was out of stock and wasn't expecting another shipment until at least mid January. That would've cut things a little too close. So I went straight to the source.

Just in case I forget, I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and all the best to you and yours in the coming year. May you all be blessed with health and happiness...and an unexplainable urge to carve rocking horses!!!!

Cheers,

Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

2 more for the road...
    Louis Bois

Still enjoying the show from this end Louis.

I presume you have plenty of models for the chest, but I to this day remember admiring Secretariat's:

Thanks for the photos Tom. An impressive and majestic beast to say the least! Ron Turcotte (who rode Secretariat to triple crown fame) actually lives a few miles from my home town...nice fellow.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 12-21-2006 at 9:27 AM.
    Louis Bois

So how will you smooth the chest area? Difficult to get spokeshaves in there.

Pam

...with GREAT difficulty Pam...great difficulty...and my arch-nemesis: sandpaper!! I H-A-T-E sandpaper...oh, and did I mention that I DETEST sandpaper?!? Not to mention my distaste for gritty substances applied to solidified pulp products.

...I'll smooth the areas as well as I can with sharp gouges and finish off with...yes, you guessed it...sandpaper. An alternative that I'm seriously considering is a set of violin maker's scrapers with curved profiles. It may be more difficult and time consuming, but it just might do the trick...taking into consideration my aversion to all things gritty and dusty.

...did I say all that out loud?
    Louis Bois

Louis, thanks for taking the time at the end of a long day to post pics and commentary. That is a wonderful gift for all of us.

Your equine project is awesome.

Merry Christmas, Tom, in Houston, enjoying the revealing of the steed.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Thanks for the kind words Tom.

Cheers.
    Louis Bois

Just when you thought it was safe to wander into the Neanderthal Haven...here I am again!!!

Here's a quick synopsis of today's progress...

- refined the chest a bit more...
    - shaped the front leg muscles to some degree...
    - rounded over the back and rear a little...
    - shaved the neck and managed to remove a chunk out of the base of the neck...must have been glue-starved...I'll patch it over the weekend.

that's about it for now...not sure when I'll post again as I have some Christmas shopping to do. My wife is even giving me all day Saturday to get her presents!!

Until we meet again...Adieu!

Louis
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 12-22-2006 at 6:37 AM.
    Louis Bois

What a gorgeous neck. I'd be tempted to go with bareback and abstract mane at this point, you can only wreck those curves.

Pam

I agree Pam. It is starting to look quite 'real' and animate. I am reminded of the Michelangelo story of when he finished his "Moses". He stared at it a while and then grabbed a hammer and whacked him on the knee. "Speak dammit!" he cried as he took a chunk out of the marble. Anyone who has ever been up close and personal with a Michaelangelo marble will understand.

Don't make yours TOO perfect Louis.

Pam and Tom, don't worry about my achieving perfection...I'm not capable of it...and I don't believe it exists. But just in case, I'll keep "his" backside less than perfect for fear that "it" may come to life!!!

GOOD NEWS!!! I received my hardware kit from England...IT ONLY TOOK 3 DAYS!!!!! I'm still in shock. Things have taken longer coming from Jersey!

No progress on the horse today...we're in survival mode with a sick little boy...and my wife isn't feeling so hot either. I'll try and get a bit of time in the shop on Sunday...and at the very least, I'll post photos of the accessory kit. It's absolutely stunning.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 12-23-2006 at 5:17 PM.
    Louis Bois

Speechless regarding what you have accomplished here.......... The beauty of this is that it will be passed on for generations to come.

How do you feel about air powered carving tools? Ball mills and all of that. Is it cheating or somehow a lower form of the art? I guess that would really be a Neander project.......

Thanks for sharing your project it is inspiring.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Silently watching in awe.
    Pix police chiefs award.
    Outstanding documentary.
    B&W photos have a wonderfully dramatic and retro effect.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Mac, for me, the pleasure lies in the process...but the bottom line for most resides in the end product...not how you get there. I don't consider power tools "cheating" in any way, shape or form. I prefer hand tools for their simplicity, quietness and intimacy...the way they transfer information from the wood being worked. Some people can't use them due to physical limitations or time constraints...or simply because they prefer power tools. No problems here. The important thing is to use a method and START CREATING!!!! ...and thanks for the kind words...

Tyler, I'm relieved to be in compliance with the pic fuzz...and the approval of the B&W. I like the texture they give...thanks.

I didn't get to the shop until later this evening and my progress is reflected accordingly. I started shaping the swell of the belly and the sides.

I'm not able to use my old carver's vise as the horse is too wide to properly secure between the jaws...therefore, I brought out old faithful.

I threw in a few pics of the accessory kit that I received from the "Rocking Horse Shop" in the UK so that you can see the quality inherent within it. All the leatherwork is hand-stitched and wonderfully executed. The real horse hair is absolutely gorgeous...I chose the light grey color and it has a peppered quality (not unlike my aging mop ) that is consistent in colour throughout. I can't rave enough about the products and customer service of this outfit. Highly Recommended!!!!!

This may be my last post before Christmas...so again, I bid you all a

VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

best wishes,

Louis
    Louis Bois