Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Horse Documentary

Louis - new cheeks look great !

keep going, your in the home stretch !!

Howie

Now we're talkin'...stay tuned Pam...and Tom? did you see my basement? Those are all pics of various horses sprawled around the place...amongst tools, shavings, etc...and thanks Howie.

...down to business...took a day off today as my shop time was suffering and we were a bit slow at the office...and managed to catch up on some neglected steps.

Firstly, I drilled the holes for the eyes...now it's starting to look interesting...there's a whole new personality there...but still no name...brings to mind a tune by a certain group called America
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Next, I cut a slot in the back to receive the saddle support...this was really harry folks!! Don't try this as home kids...

I also cut a few grooves in the back to receive the stirrup staples. These are recessed enough to hide under the saddle and not interfere with little legs...
    Louis Bois

Finally I cut the slot in the back to receive the "real horsehair" mane. This was relatively easy...I didn't even have to break out the Berg's from their resting place...the Marples did just fine

I also picked up most of the paint supplies I'll be needing for this weekend...yes, you did hear me correctly. The painting commences this weekend!!!! ...fingers forcefully crossed in a most uncomfortable manner...
    Louis Bois

...did I mention that I cut a hole for the tail?!? I thought I did...maybe I didn't...so here's a teaser with the "real horsehair" tail...

Danger Will Robinson...we have a petuteeee...

On that note, goodnight all...
    Louis Bois

Oh my...what a transformation on this beautiful work of art! Wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is terrific. You are very brave to cut into that back; I guess a surgeon's gotta do what a surgeon's gotta do.

And no I did not see much of the basement although I espied one pony in the background of a couple shots. I never doubted you though.

awe inspiring, I just discovered this (being a tailed tool fan, I dont' venture over in neander-land much). Great job, and I just subscribed so I will continue to get updates.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

I made the mistake of showing this to my wife and we have a grandchild due any day now. I doubt I would even attempt that Louis, you are doing swell.

I can understand though as I am sure many of the woodworkers here can, that when you get to the end of a project, and you have to make that one cut or make one detail that if you mess it up makes the whole thing firewood.

It is looking good Louis I have to hand it to you and maybe I should go back to the beginning of the thread and see about those books you mentioned.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Thanks Jim, Tom, Ned and James.

Jim...on a side note regarding that LV chamfer guid...it does fit on the Stanley 65 but the hold down screw is just a tad short to get a secure fit...I'll post a pic later.

Tom, you can see a bunch of pics of horses in the shop in previous posts...but I'm using a 50mm lens for most of the pics so it creates that blurry "bokeh" effect in the background...makes it difficult to see.

Ned, welcome to the dark side....

James, Anthony Dew's book is a great guide in that it has many projects for different skill levels...and all the projects differ greatly from the usual Woodcraft plan horse. The range starts with a horse head on a stick...and progresses to a fully carved carousel horse. There are about 14 projects all told, increesing in difficulty as you go. There are a few great bookstores online where you can get it secondhand for less money. Lee Valley used to carried but dropped it a few years ago...probably due to poor sales. PM me if you'd like more info on possible sources of acquisition.

I'll hopefully be able to post a "white" horse this evening...but it's not looking to good...tomorrow seems more feasible.

Cheers,
    Louis Bois

The first coat of paint went on this morning...pretty ghostly thing...

...a few "before" and "after" pics....
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 01-14-2007 at 5:14 PM.
    Louis Bois

I was debating not posting any more pics until the horse was completed as most of these intermediary painting steps can look a little "weird".

It was one of my worst fears to screw up the painting of this horse...but as I perused numerous examples of antique horses, the level of expertise varies tremendously and some of the least elaborate paint jobs have the greatest appeal.

The photos below show the horse complete with "stylized" paint job (remind me to carve the next one in black walnut) before applying the antique glaze and varnish. It looks somewhat bizarre, but you have to imagine it with all the leather "fixins" to get the full effect...as all those little circles are a major distraction. I've never done this before...and it shows...but I developed some techniques that would improve my next attempt.

The best approach is to use a round brush...wipe off the paint until it's mostly dry...and stipple the dapple pattern onto the horse in the lightest colour possible, therefore establishing a symmetrical pattern...to some degree. You then pick a focal area and begin to darken those circles, slowly working outward...lightening the colour as you move away from this focal area. If things get screwed up, it's fairly easy to sand away the black once the area is completely dry, or add a bit more colour later. I still have a few areas to "touch up" and the photos show my "first side" attempt. The other side is much better...but I tried to keep them close.

I'm still on schedule, depending on drying time for the next few steps...and I'll probably concentrate on the stand this evening. I was hoping to have a bit of extra time to carve "violin scrolls" at the ends of my hoof rails, but time may not permit me to accomplish this. In any event, I'll be able to show my son the horse for his birthday, completely rideable...and finish the scrolls in the next few weeks.

I'm down to the wire now...only 4 days left.

Does anyone else have a carnivalesque feeling about this wee horsey?

By the way, I feel as though I've ruined this horse...I hate to put paint over wood...Period!

ps...I asked my son (who hasn't and won't see the painted version until Sunday) what he'd like to name his horse again...and being near Christmas and all...he said "Rudolph". I almost cried...from laughing so hard. He joined me in the laughter and said he was only pretending!!!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 01-17-2007 at 5:14 PM.
    Louis Bois

Wow Louis the horse is really starting to show personality, it looks almost alive. I take it you are going for a dapple grey affect, but whatever it looks good to me.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Yeah, a little carnivalesque, exacerbated by the symmetry of the black paint application, for example, on the legs. But that's not to say I think it looks bad. It looks great, especially when I imagine the red leather saddle to tie in the nostril red.

Pam

Thanks James and Pam...yes, it has been a bitter pill to swallow, especially considering how good it looked before all this pigment was applied. I was getting pretty depressed looking at those photos yesterday and wondered why I didn't spot all those glaring anomalies...it looks much, much better in person...and like any good movie, a little drama is a good thing..."will he be able to pull it off ladies and gentlemen?!? Stay tuned..."

In any event, I repaired the areas that were bugging me the most in the dapple...and here are a few pics of his "good side" if there is such a thing.

I won't be posting any more pics until it is complete...

...back in a few days...
    Louis Bois