Thread: Duck Call finish ?'s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duck Call finish ?'s

I am in the process of making some duck calls for Christmas presents. I have never done this before so I am curious about what type of finish works best. I was leaning toward Spar varnish or wipe on poly on the outside and Varathane natural oil on the inside. I have never used a friction finish applied on the lathe for anything. Would this be a good application for this type of finish? Can the type of finisih effect the tone?

Thanks in advance.

Quinn

I don't have a clue Quinn....but I'd think you want something that will withstand some pretty harsh wet conditions. My gut says Poly. But then...sometimes my gut says "feed me". I could be confused.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quinn, of all the finishes I've used I think the minwax wipe on poly acrylic has held up best under the weather and the slobber of blowing in them. But for ones that are just to look nice on a mantel or something I like lacquer.

Thanks for the responces.

I am leaning toward the wipe on poly. I really would like them to get a lot of use out of them.

Curt's right... lacquer for show- poly for go. The wood and it's density/hardness you use will have more impact on the tone of the call than the finish- be sure to finish inside the bell and air channel so the call is completely sealed. This will help to avoid splits from excessive wood movement down the road.

Remember, if there's no pic, it doesn't exist! Be sure to post some shots of it.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I make and sell duck, and other game, calls. Until recently, I used Myland's because it gave nice results and is easy to use. But, I decided that the wearing qualities are not what I want in something that is used in harsh, wet conditions and switched to Deft spray laquer. That said, I never had a complaint about the Myland's finish. A few woods, like cocobolo, you can leave unfinished.