Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know Anything About "South American Mahogany"

Anyone Know Anything About "South American Mahogany"

......vs African mahogany? Is it similar in it's turning charactaristics? Seems to be much lighter in color from the sample I have seen on the web. Appreciate any info.

Corey

My guess is that the South American Mahogany is Honduras Mahogany, but from another country. But it could be a different species like they have for Brazilian Cherry, etc. Jim King might have some insite.

Corey, IIRC from reading somewhere, I think it's from South America. Any more than that, I really don't know, sorry.

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Thanks John. I will see if I can find further info. I was wondering if it is Honduras or about the same thing.

Corey

Corey I would think it would be Honduran Mahogany or a species of it. I bought some South American Mahogany and it looks identical to the honduran I bought. It turns pretty darn nice. I love the way it turns. As you know I am making a set of salad bowls out of the honduran.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the info B!

Corey

The Honduras does not come from Honduras anymore it comes from other South and Centtral American Countries. African is really unstable wood...I don't reccommend it for furniture
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks Mark. Is the African acceptable for turning? My plan for the mahogany is for small lidded boxes.
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Thanks Mark. Is the African acceptable for turning? My plan for the mahogany is for small lidded boxes.
    Corey
    I made a pool equipment enclosure from both Genuine and African and the African twisted....the genuine is still fine....I am not sure for turning
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Corey
    Hi Corey,

I have not turned any "African" mahogany but, I have done flat work with it. I have not experienced the problems that Mark did but, it is not my favorite wood to work. I find the grain to be very porous, and non-discript. It also produces a "chemical" smell when machined. As one might expect, "African Mahogany" is not mahogany at all but another species that has a color and texture that resembles true mahogany, at a lesser price.

I don't have the answer either but have you ................................... Don't want the forum police to get me.

Edited to remove useless and insulting remark. AEH 11-12-06
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 11-12-2006 at 2:58 PM.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Thanks guys for the help!

Corey

I am wondering if it is the same as "Spanish Cedar", the stuff cigar boxes are made of and humidors are lined with?

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I found the below recently from a wood exporter. I've already posted it somewhere, hope y'all don't mind if I repeat.
    Interesting.

<<The scientific world is very much in disarray when it comes to identifying tropical woods. One needs only to look at the web site of the US Department of Agriculture Tropical Forestry Lab to see the general confusion that exists in the ID of tropical species. Most woods have common names that vary from country to country and even river by river and community to community. You may be interested in the </SPAN>USDA Tropical Wood web site,I am sure you will find it interesting.

It may or may not surprise you to know that many species can have up to 30 or more scientific names. Over the years researchers have "discovered" a wood in one area and registered it with a scientific name not knowing that it had been registered many times before by other "discoverers" thus leading to the confusion we have today. With the recent spread of information via the internet this problem has become more clear to all and hopefully will be cleared up. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Hi Corey,

I have not turned any "African" mahogany but, I have done flat work with it. I have not experienced the problems that Mark did but, it is not my favorite wood to work. I find the grain to be very porous, and non-discript. It also produces a "chemical" smell when machined. As one might expect, "African Mahogany" is not mahogany at all but another species that has a color and texture that resembles true mahogany, at a lesser price.
    Hi Chris, I have used African Mahogany quite a bit here in Oz, as it was introduced to Australia in the 50's and is now grown as a plantation timber in the Northern Territory.

I agree with you about not being a favourite timber to work with, quite soft and can produce 'furry' profiles even with a sharp cutter.
    By far the most distinctive attribute of it is the incredibly strong odor that it produces when cut or routed and a little bit of extra heat is generated.

You described it as a very 'chemical' smell, which I think is Ammonia?