Thread: Powermatic 20" Planer

Powermatic 20" Planer

Someone nearby is selling a new, in the box, Powermatic 20" planer for $1200 - less what can be negotiated at time of sale.

I'm a hobbiest that does several projects a year. I buy almost all of my wood rough and use a Dewalt lunchbox planer. Looking far forward 10-15 years to when I (hopefully) have more time to devote to WW, a big planer would be nice...... Amazon sells the same planer for $1800 delivered.

Can anyone convince me (so I can convince LOML/SWMBO) that this a GREAT deal, that I can't live without the machine, and that wrestling a 700lb beast into my basement shop is worth the efforts.

Thanks..... Dave.

If "new in the box" also includes "working"...that's a huge steal. Start your arm twisting and promissing to clean the bathrooms on a regular basis immediately! "Wide" is good when it comes to planers and jointers...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery
    Someone nearby is selling a new, in the box, Powermatic 20" planer for $1200 - less what can be negotiated at time of sale.

I'm a hobbiest that does several projects a year. I buy almost all of my wood rough and use a Dewalt lunchbox planer. Looking far forward 10-15 years to when I (hopefully) have more time to devote to WW, a big planer would be nice...... Amazon sells the same planer for $1800 delivered.

Can anyone convince me (so I can convince LOML/SWMBO) that this a GREAT deal, that I can't live without the machine, and that wrestling a 700lb beast into my basement shop is worth the efforts.

Thanks..... Dave.
    BUY IT ! ! ! ! Or I Will
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

That's a deal - even more so if it is outfitted with a carbide helical insert cutterhead! (an $1100 option!)

Dave,
    I went from one of the early Delta lunchboxes to a Powermatic 15” and have never regretted it for a second. Just dumping the unbearable lunchbox whine was enough reason for me. Oh yeah, I paid $1200 for the PM15” – $1200 for a PM20” is a rare find indeed.
    I think you should jump on it!

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I’m in a cabinet meeting. — Ronald Reagan
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney