Thread: Storage Facility Experience

Storage Facility Experience

I'm just curious if anyone's had experience using a storage facility? Like Public Storage, or Uncle Bob's Storage, that sort of thing. What I'm mostly curious about is the prices of units. I got a price from someone today at a nearby Uncle Bob's Storage, for a 5x10 ground floor unit for 143$ a month with no long term discounts or anything, which I thought was absurd. I'm just wondering if the price is because of our location or is it that expensive everywhere?

This obviously won't be the route I'll go for my storage needs, this is more out of general curiousity than anything.

When we first moved home from GA we had one, 10X20. It was $75 per month. Liek a lot of things price is going to vary depending on location. I live in the sticks so to speak and things tend to be cheaper here

Jon,

I'm in central Illinois and have a 10 x 30 storage unit, $108 per month. We've finally gotten a lot of the stuff out of it, but I still need some extra storage space. I just bought a 6 x12 cargo trailer to keep the stuff in. The added benefit of course is that now when I need to pick up some wood or equipment, all I have to do is empty the trailer out, and go get my goodies. I will be out of the storage facility by the end of the month. Some things to look for, in my experience, is what the building is made of, if the roof and walls meet in such a way that your unit is TOTALLY enclosed from the units next to you, if you have 24 hour access, the type of lighting and fencing around the facility, and the way that your doors are secured.. We have been very pleased with our rental, but over the course of 30 months, I have spent in excess of $3000. Gosh, that could have bought a lot of tools, or wood. I know this is more info than you asked for, but maybe it's food for thought.

Jim

Jon,
    You're a victim of that hi-end location you're sporting.
    Real world prices are much less - paid $75 / mo for a 15' x 15' unit locally

I rent a 10x25 unit for $1100/year, which is about $90/month.

Good timing, I just rented a 5x10 last weekend. As for what you are paying all I can say is . Mine is in Redmond, WA, not known as an inexpensive area. The rent is $65/month which includes a $5 premium for being on the ground floor. The first month was free.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Eckels
    I got a price from someone today at a nearby Uncle Bob's Storage, for a 5x10 ground floor unit for 143$ a month with no long term discounts or anything, which I thought was absurd.
    With prices like that it makes me wonder where the saying came from (Bob's your uncle) Who's uncle would over charge like that?

I've had a storage bin for most of the last 10 years for one thing or another. For the last year I've had 400 bf of walnut stored in one.....@ $25 per month. It's 5x10.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
    With prices like that it makes me wonder where the saying came from (Bob's your uncle) Who's uncle would over charge like that?

I've had a storage bin for most of the last 10 years for one thing or another. For the last year I've had 400 bf of walnut stored in one.....@ $25 per month. It's 5x10.
    One thing people lose track of is the net cost of something they're storing. For example, if all you had in that storage facility was 1000 bf of lumber and you had it there 5 years before using it, your cost just went up $1.50/bf. It doesn't take long before it's cheaper to just buy what you need when you need it.

In my case, I have a car that's in the storage unit - my other option would be to store it outside and that's not really an option. It's also not like I can just "go buy what I want to use" from a car, but lumber can be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    One thing people lose track of is the net cost of something they're storing. For example, if all you had in that storage facility was 1000 bf of lumber and you had it there 5 years before using it, your cost just went up $1.50/bf. It doesn't take long before it's cheaper to just buy what you need when you need it.
    The walnut was free, but, believe me, I have not lost track of the cost. It hurts, but I have no room in my shop right now for all that wood.

So far I've run up a total of about $.75 per bf. Not too bad. But I'll need to make room pretty soon!
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Most of what's in ours I'd throw away today, but my wife wants to keep it. Boxes and boxes of crap if you ask me. I'm also planning to use it as a dropoff and pickup point for two of my best wholesale customers when I move to the house in a few weeks, so they don't have to go all the way
    up the hills. It's a perfect location, closer to them than the current shop, and just 5 miles from my home. I've left a space about 18"x10' to be able to put 4x8 signs in it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

I've been renting a 10x10 for 120/month. It's way too much, but necessary for the short term. I have a new shed coming in a week which should solve my storage problems.

Bob

We had a 10x10 at $40.00 month for nearly 30 years. What was in it could be mostly classified as "stuff". When I finally convinced my wife to let me go through it to sort out what should be kept and what should be discarded, we ended up with almost nothing that was a 'keeper'. Rest was donated to charity or dumpster. $14,400.00 for essentially nothing.

Not to hijack but I guess while I make out on the storage compared to you, I just found out that my garbage is going to double when I move home. The same size (3 yard dumpster) with this company now is $96/month, the one that serves my house is just under $200. At
    least they allow me to use it for the household trash too.

Sammamish, WA

I've got a 10x20 at $40/month. Location, Location, Location...

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Location, Location, Location was right on.
    We have a 10 x 20 temp controlled unit, kept at 50 during the winter and not above 80 in the summer. $99/month
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA