Thread: Wood Storage, could use some help on my plans

Wood Storage, could use some help on my plans

I've posted before that I am starting to buy larger amounts of wood at a time. Walnut in my area is becoming hard to get and a large lead time so when I find it, I buy a fair amount. My concern with a homemade rack is that most are attached to the walls of the shop and I worry it's too much weight on the studs in the wall. It was suggested to buy a metal rack but I am trying to avoid a high dollar solution....if I can.

Below is what I have come up with. With it being angled away from the wall I'm hoping to have a fair amount of the weight on the concrete floor. I will attach the uprights to the wall studs and ad supports from the ceiling to push against the top of the uprights. I hope this makes sense and someone with more knowledge can let me know if I'm on the right track. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lumber Storage.jpg
    Not sure if my second picture was attached but it is my current setup (similar, picture pulled from the internet). It's not large enough for the storage I need. I am hoping to store approx 150-200 bf per layer
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a video that goes along with the second photos. It's from the woodwhisperer.

Here's a link. He has instructions on how to do it. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ode=posts&ap=1

What is your headroom? If it is 8' or more why not go with a vertical stack. It requires almost no structure- floor supports all the weight, holds more wood, easy and safe to load and unload (no ladder required), much easier to inspect both sides of any board, no unloading to get to a board at the bottom of a stack, etc. etc. You just need one horizontal board with 18" pipes. Stack your wood "soldier style" with edges towards the wall.

I use the Fast-Mount shelving system that i got at Menards. Some of the brackets are rated at 300#each so a shelf with 4 brackets at 1200#.

Alan, the height of my shop is just over 8 feet but the problem is that the lumber mill cuts boards to almost 9 feet to account for any slight splitting at the ends. I do like the idea of vertical though. The other question, by having 150 bf of one species, I guess I would do two rows of the "soldier style" that you describe.

Hmmm, now you have me thinking. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Alan, the height of my shop is just over 8 feet but the problem is that the lumber mill cuts boards to almost 9 feet to account for any slight splitting at the ends. I do like the idea of vertical though. The other question, by having 150 bf of one species, I guess I would do two rows of the "soldier style" that you describe.

Hmmm, now you have me thinking. Thanks for the reply.
    I have been known to chop a long board or two into two shorter ones. I never build anything that requires a 10 footer and as you know, even with sealed ends, often the first few inches of each end are not usable due to splits or angled cuts. I noticed there is one thing missing from these early pics- safety chains.

Thanks for all of the replies. Alan, you sold me and will have my vertical storage set up this weekend. Thanks for the help. Let me know where I send the check for the money I saved, I mean you saved me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. Alan, you sold me and will have my vertical storage set up this weekend. Thanks for the help. Let me know where I send the check for the money I saved, I mean you saved me. LOL
    Just buy an Incra I-BOX or an Infinity Lock Miter Master.

FYI, here is a shot that shows the safety chains. You only need inexpensive, lightweight chain and some "S" hooks.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 11-17-2015 at 4:40 PM.

Or you could use some 4 X4 posts, treated or not, drill some holes in them spaced about 16" apart and lean them against the wall. You could attach them to the ceiling joists with angle brackets and possibly secure them to the floor as well. Angle the holes in the posts about 1-2 degrees to account for the weight of the lumber and you have an instant wood storage rack. Simple and not very pricey. Make sure to drill the holes equally apart by lining up the posts and marking all at once.

I like the proposed design. The more layers you have the easier it should be to find the wood you seek. I guess that's the big advantage of the vertical storage.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius