Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage Shop Walls: Drywall or OSB?

I vote against drywall in an unheated structure as weather conditions could cause condensation and really cause problems.

I would use osb horizontally for the first layer and CDX for the second layer with a strip of CDX to finish and paint the whole thing the same color. The osb will be mostly hidden by your stuff and you can save some $ plus get the ability to screw anything anywhere and not have soggy drywall later. You could fill any voids in the plywood with bondo or even joint compound if they bother you (before paint obviously).

Think of how much work there is in muding the joints and painting in place (you will have to paint the drywall as it will darken over time and look dirty) versus painting the plywood/osb on the ground and screwing it.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I am using OSB. My reasoning was cost, strength to hang items, no taping, and it is lighter and easier for me to put up.

I agree it isnt the best looking. I did one section of my 10' ceiling myself, wasnt much fun. My wife helped me with the next section.

I did splurge and use some nice siding along the back wall. It was 20 dollars a sheet, ouch.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Looks vs. functionality vs. the budget . . . hmmmm. When I finally get around to re-doing my shop walls (the previous owners though one more nail or one more screw fixed everything, it looks like the valentine's day massacre in there) I will fill the holes, rough sand and paint glossy white. Once I "season" the surface with a light sprinkling of sawdust and cover most of it with clamp racks, jigs, sleds, etc. I think it'll look fine. Your's probably will too no matter whats under the paint.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

T-111 Whats this stuff ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tompkins
    I've got a 20 x 40 with 10 foot ceilings and plan to use T-111 for the first 8 foot vertical and then a ply product (not sure yet) for the last two feet.

Yep it's more expensive but I saw a shop done that way in a book. Looked mighty sweet.
    T-111 What the heck is this stuff ? Looks like Redwood or cedar??
    I think this would look good in my shop.. I have to be picking somthing to use.. Just cant deside But I do like the Idea of drywall fire retardent and light reflection
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

WOW!

Super thread. So many great ideas and viewpoints. Looks like I'm not the only one who's considered this question. I appreciate you responces.

keep em'coming.

Hi Steve,

Well all of my suggestions have been more than covered by everyone else. Welcome to SMC too, I don't think I ever got a chance to say so before. BTW we use our real whole names here. Although if "Canada" is your last name I apologise for insinuating otherwise. Could you update your profile with where you're living? There's not too many of us Canucks on here and it's nice know where others are callin' home and who's nearby.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Poorman
    T-111 What the heck is this stuff ?
    T1-11 is an exterior plywood product that is embossed/milled to look like vertical boards. 'Has a textured surface. I have it on the walls in half of my shop and it looks quite pleasant. My only regret was using the thin version, rather than the heavier sheathing stock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not much more I can add, but after 30 years of working with metal, I found metal and sheet rock do not get along, doesn't take much of a hit to put a hole in sheet rock, I ended up with OSB and a couple of coats of on sale white paint, and although not as pretty as sheet rock, it was more functional, cheaper, easier to install, and though the paint I can still make out the nails that are holding it to the studs, makes hanging stuff easier I think.

If ya like pretty, go with sheet rock, if ya like function, try OSB...imho

Al

I am currently in this process and here is what I am doing. I also have 9' walls and when doing the electrical I put the outlets at just over 4'. I will then run OSB horizontally top and bottom and have a 1' strip from 4'-5'. This allows me easy access to my wiring in the future should I ever need to make any changes to the circuits. I have also found that the price is a factor as well ie $12 per sheet drywall vs $7.50 per sheet OSB. I also like the impact resistance. Paint and primer...going to need it either way!

That's my two cents...no refunds.

Taping? Who needs it?

I'm puzzled by all the people who mention "no taping" in their post.

Who says you have to tape drywall? Is it a law or something? This is a detached garage. If you can put up OSB without taping/patching the seems, then why can't you put up drywall without taping/mudding it?

Oh, I know that taped/mudded drywall will look better - nice and smooth and all that. But the comparison is with OSB... I don't think that untaped drywall with exposed screws is going to look any worse than untaped OSB with exposed screws.

When I moved into my house, the basement playroom was unfinished - no ceiling, and drywall on just the top-half of the wall. (I know, silly, but that is all that the code requires). The drywall was bare, unpainted, and untaped.

I just painted it as is. It is just a playroom, and I had no intention of finishing it at this time. The paint makes it look nice and bright, and you hardly notice the seams or screw heads. (they're painted, after all).

...art
    "It's Not About You."

Art, I don't think anybody HAS to tape sheet rock, but I think people generally go with sheet rock because its nicer looking and if that's your goal, taping is almost mandatory, untaped sheet rock is not pretty.
    There's also the fact that your sealing the edges, might make some small difference for those who heat or cool ?

Like I said, pretty or functional...ya get to chose.

Al

Ok, stupid question for the day - What is OSB?

I too have been debating what to cover the walls of my shop with, and don't want to go with heavy difficult expensive drywall. I want something lighter and easy for one person to hang, that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and is durable.

I have my shop attached to the house. It has 9 foot wall heights. To meet code I had to have fire-resistant drywall on the wall common to the house. The remainder of the walls were insulated and I covered in 8 foot high 9/16 thick beadboard. The beadboard was screwed to the studs so I can remove a sheet if necessary.

The beadboard was seamed 8 foot from the floor. The seam is covered with a 1X4. This 1X4 is the hanging rail for cabinets and other things. Then I spray painted everything with semigloss white paint.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown
    Ok, stupid question for the day - What is OSB?

I too have been debating what to cover the walls of my shop with, and don't want to go with heavy difficult expensive drywall. I want something lighter and easy for one person to hang, that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and is durable.
    Laurie,
    OSB is oriented strand board. It is made up of chips / chucks of wood scrap and glue. It is oriented in random directions for strength.

Scroll up a little to my post with the picture. It is the brown stuff on the ceiling that is still unpainted.

Joe

Laurie,
    Oriented Strand Board. A piece of wood made of layers of wood chips laminated together with glue under extreme pressure. The standard size is a 4'x8' sheet and it is typically used for the same aplications as plywood.

Kinda think rough plywood, cheap, easy to cut, lighter than sheet rock but not as pretty.

Doesn't look real bad with a couple coats of paint, but prime first, it does absorb paint fairly well and will bleed though.

Al